Old 05-20-2016   #1
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
Filter Plant Run Safety for Kids

Does anyone know if it's safe to take two little ones on the filter plant run today? They are both six. Experienced rafters.

wyoraftmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
These are the questions we ask ourselves before we take our kids on the river:
Have we ever paddled this river?
Have we ever paddled this river at the current flows?
How many adults do we have?
How many kids do we have?
How many other boats are there?
How much experience do our kids have on the river? On any river?
If something happens, and they fall in, or we flip, do we have enough people for a quick recovery?
It's important to remember that kids don't have the same reaction to swims as adults do. They seem to be pretty shocked at first, and tend to get swept downstream a little faster because their reaction time is delayed. Is someone prepared to jump in and swim after them? If so, is someone else capable of staying with the other kids?

Runoff season is hard for parents. We want to get on the river as much as possible, and bring the kids with us, but it is so important to look at all the possibilities. Don't take your kids into a situation that is going to scare them away from the river.

And for feck's sake, people, make your kids wear a helmet!

It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016   #3
Steamboat, Colorado
I can't say for the Poudre... but for us... having run the Yampa hundreds of times, we won't be taking our kids past the hot springs until either the water levels go way down, air temps go way up, or both. If air temps go way up, there's a chance we'll take the 10 and 8 year olds through the big rapids (with wetsuits), but definitely not the 5 year old.
It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016   #4
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I would say it's personal choice rather than asking a message board, but I will be taking my 6 and 4 y.o. boys down it this weekend. They both started on filter when they were about 2.
By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016   #5
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Soggy tortillas asks all the right questions. At this level, a little over 3 ft. it will be a fun ride if you are pretty confident of not going down a rapid sideways and avoiding the 1 hole. I took my kids down at those ages and younger plenty, but I also had kayaked it a ton of times beforehand. Good luck.
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016   #6
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
It's got one class 3 moment... Otherwise it's class 2. It can have a lot of wood this time of year, and you take out right above a low head dam. I would run it once before you do it with kiddos. Many people safely take their kids all the time... But I wouldn't do it without R2ing or rowing it by yourself. It only takes 45 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
trickpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016   #7
Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I run filter plant a lot with my kids 3 and 6 at most water levels, with that said soggy brings up a great point. You can scout the rapid from the road and the rest is really sraight foward. If you and your kids have experience and are comfortable in higher volume flows it is a good quick family section.
Noswetnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016   #8
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Whether it's a rapid and a flip, or it's a clumsy kid falling out, the current is waay too powerful for a small kid to be able to swim in the current. If you have another adult who can pull in or can go after any kid who falls in, then you should be fine.

twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote