Mountain Buzz banner

Feather River Releases?

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Daryl T 
#1 ·
This coming weekend is one of the scheduled releases on the Feather River in northern California. We are scheming how to get up there for the class IV section below Grizzly Creek. One friend thinks the weekend releases are on both sections of the river (Lobin/Tobin and below Grizzly Creek) and one thinks Saturday is the upper, and Sunday the lower. American Whitewater doesn't have any details that I could find-

Does anyone here know the scoop?

Thanks!
Daryl

#2 ·
My understanding is that the releases are 1100 cfs on Sat. and 900 cfs on Sunday, both for the Tobin/Lobin Rock Creek sections. The Grizzly Creek section is supposed to have low boatable flows of 440 cfs every day of July, so it will be running but there are not extra release flows over the weekend. This is the info I got at the beginning of the summer. I've asked our CA Stewardship Director Dave Steindorf to let me know if there have been any changes to that schedule.

Happy Boating!

#3 ·
Thanks for the info Evan

That is too bad. The Tobin/Lobin has a reputation for being better for kayaks, lots of sieves, and varying in difficulty. The Grizzly Creek or Cresta run sounds more consistent and cleaner: California Creeks - Feather N Fork Cresta

A closer look at the dream flows graphs supports your comments. Periodic ups on the one section and a steady flow on the other. Too bad the low flow is only enough for kayaks.

Maybe AW can work on this other section? Let me (us- the people) know if you need help!

Daryl

#4 ·
#5 ·
Well GD!

The article is great. I had no idea about the details and history. Thanks for the links and work Evan.
"Almost twenty years ago, American Whitewater made it our goal to restore the North Fork Feather River. This new flow regime is a testament to our success in achieving that goal."

Low flows, but way more than no flow!

What do you think about a 10' R2 or R3 on the tobin? on the cresta at the 440-575 July release? I am looking forward to figuring this area out...

D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.