Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 07-06-2015   #11
Boise, Idaho
Originally Posted by hojo View Post
Now that is funny *ahem* shit!

People with CO tags are reporting higher rates of search requests as they drive through our neighboring states. Pot is usually the underlying reason.
Boy, ain't this the truth. Idaho cops are making a living (for lawyers) by pulling over CO tags. Lawsuits aplenty.

Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #12
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008

Enforcement officers can be dicks about anything that they want to. Lets not single out invasive species checks as evil, when their goal is the betterment of the water resources that we all value here on the Buzz. We never welcome investigation, but as someone who HAS found an invasive mussel on an inflatable before I can't say I blame them for wanting to look.

As already mentioned above...officers can be dicks. if it wasn't about invasive species, it would be about something else. lets not vilify the movement to protect waterways from invasive species because some officer with a chip conducted a search.

but can you see its opposition | comes a-rising up sometimes | that it's dreadful and position | comes blacking in my mind | ....and then I see a darkness
laterwagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #13
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1976
OK, I don't know but.. You can't be detained without probable cause. hauling a trailer is not probable cause according to my lawyer, but maybe not the court where you are stopped. IMHO, These folk have a lot of courage:
These are about immigration. Invasive species are a big deal, but not prima facia evidence for probable cause or even reasonable suspicion. The two questions are: Am I being detained? am I free to go. A Front | This American Life
I am too much of a wuss, and i am a white middle age guy so I know the my privilege will allow me to ultimately go un molested.
zipbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015   #14
The invasive species boat inspections are another regulatory joke perpetrated on Americans by idiotic lawmakers. The reality is many of these species are hitching rides on boots, waders, trailers, etc... Boat inspections will only delay the inevitable. As it turns out, humans, and in particular, regulators as a brand, are the worst invasive species to date.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015   #15
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
The reality is that cops are just people, folks. Be a dick and they will return the favor. I have been locked up several times (all for good reasonw) but have talked my way out far FAR many more instance just by being polite and respectful. I've watched many poeple talk themselves into a set of cuffs.

That tends to be my role in the group: Event Planner/ Cop Calmer
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015   #16
Meadow Vista, California
Paddling Since: 1997
As soon as I said I had a raft, he said open up. "Looking for muscles!" Now, what kind of mussel inspection can be done there while in line. Even after pulling over, they never looked at the rafts. Total BS! My problem was saying rafts. I asked if I was being destained and they said no, but the trailer is. "Not entering CA without inspection." I'm sure a lawyer can trash that argument.

This crap is making a lier out of me.

sunburned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015   #17
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Invasive species (mussels, didymo/rock-snot, etc.) can decimate a fishery in under a decade; and have the almost alien ability to survive astonishingly adverse circumstances (for them) in hijacking a ride from one river system/drainage to another on just about any damn surface you can imagine.

That said, I hate an abuse of power as much as the next guy or gal, and therefore empathize with your anger. So I guess if I were to say my piece it'd be this: temper your frustration at Roscoe P. Coltrane with the realization that he may actually be trying to earnestly do his job in the hope that he's defending waterways from a potential nightmare.

Then, as you're driving away, flip him the bird as you curse him under your breath.

Healthy rivers = fish / Fish = healthy rivers
dafewillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015   #18
Meadow Vista, California
Paddling Since: 1997
I second that. I am familiar with the damage these mussels can cause. However, for the hour I was there, nobody else was inspected. Countless boats, RVs, trailers, and what else were driving through. In my opinion, that is no way to keep evasive species out of CA waterways, flys out of the agriculture, or moths out of something.

"I have camping gear and I am coming from Nevada."

sunburned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015   #19
Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998

Invasive and Evasive

Any Questions...?...

brasscap is offline   Reply With Quote