Extending the life of ice. - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-01-2016   #1

White salmon, Washington
Paddling Since: 05
Extending the life of ice.

So I experimented with extending the life of ice over a Selway trip 2 weeks ago. It was not very scientific but the visual results were impressive. I should have weighed the blocks pre and post trip. After 7 days in the cooler the wrapped ice' were 2 1/2-3 times the size of the unwrapped ice. This cooler was accessed for Beer and food throughout the days (poor cooler maintenance), with no wet towel or cover. I didn't necessarily need it on this trip but I can see its use on extended trips like the GC.
Having a couple unwrapped for the first week+ then unwrap the others.
I have about $5 into materials but had the butyl tape. They are reusable and can be cut open and resealed a couple times. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1467416460.568187.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	11875Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1467416506.477174.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	11876Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1467416543.744990.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	11877

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Trejos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2016   #2

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
interesting. Thanks for sharing
ob1coby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016   #3

Denver, Colorado
Where'd you get the wrapping material? Looks like a good idea, does it keep the cooler colder or just what's in the box?
Not sure if you wrapped the entire inside of your cooler/made a box of insulation inside your cooler or separated it out into compartments.

I like the idea and may give it a try on the San Juan in 16 days.
jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2016   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have unlimited access to the same bubble wrap foil insulation and have played with it a bit. I have made layers and lids inside the cooler. I haven't tried wrapping the block and my brain is spinning. My feeling is that you didn't let the cold air reach your perishables which would defeat the purpose. However, you had the most cocktail ice which is a very valid endeavor!
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016   #5
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Would be great for keeping select items cold for as long as possible. Just pack em in there, right next to the block of ice.
Old 07-01-2016   #6

White salmon, Washington

So I cut the wrap to fit a blocks of ice. In my cooler I had one unwrapped block and two wrapped. The wrapped block's still helped but you do need a block or two unwrapped to keep the cooler at temp. When the unwrapped blocks are about gone you cut open the wrapped blocks.

I got the foil backed bubble wrap at my local lumber yard. Thinking you could get it at a Home Repo.

Old 07-02-2016   #7

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've had pretty nice results from cutting either a closed cell foam pad, or the mylar bubble wrap that you used, to the exact size of the inside of the cooler. Ice and frozen stuff beneath, vegetables/delicate items on top. Maybe one block of ice above the wrap, for dairy- so it stays cold, but doesn't freeze. Frozen cheese sucks.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016   #8

White salmon, Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post
I've had pretty nice results from cutting either a closed cell foam pad, or the mylar bubble wrap that you used, to the exact size of the inside of the cooler. Ice and frozen stuff beneath, vegetables/delicate items on top. Maybe one block of ice above the wrap, for dairy- so it stays cold, but doesn't freeze. Frozen cheese sucks.

I know I have read, on some previous thread a while back, about dividing the cooler into layers with insulation. You must have mentioned that before. It is actually what got me thing about trying the wrap on the block of ice. Thanks for planting the seed.

Old 07-07-2016   #9
Gary F

Philipsburg, Montana
Paddling Since: 1984
This is what I (we) have done.......Put "trip ice" either bought or made, in my freezer and put it on super freeze. It is A LOT colder than ice out of the store. One river rat i know, makes his own ice so it totally fits the bottom of his coolers...no wasted space. Before packing food, put ice in the cooler to "pre cool" the trip coolers. Plan which cooler which days food will go in both so the coolers won't be open so long to pack AND you can keep coolers shut on the trip that don't need to be opened. On the river I usually tape and wrap my coolers in a blanket and keep it wet. Freeze all food that you can. I freeze virtually everything like butter. On longer trips, I use the egg in a carton and freeze that. You get the idea. The difference in my cooler ice with a foam cover and without a foam cover on a hot trip is 2-3 days. Open only the appropriate cooler for any particular day(s), like day 5-7 cooler. The ice from previous days can be recycled as beer ice. Otherwise, on a canyon trip our beer is tucked in "beer socks" tucked in the corners of our boat so it is continually drenched by the cold river water. Doing this, we regularly have left over ice at the end of a 100 degree canyon trip.
kokoroltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016   #10

lafayette or Grand Lake, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
This is my cooler, also has 1/2" of closed cell foam sandwiched between two layers of the bubble wrap duck taped to top of lid (Reflectix 24 in. x 100 ft. Double Reflective Insulation with Staple Tab-ST24100 - The Home Depot).
Helps a lot with ice retention. Did my cheap Coleman coolers the same way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	11923   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	11924  

Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg