Extending the life of ice. - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-11-2016   #11
Old Guy in a PFD

Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
So, do you drain the water out daily or not?
*stands back to avoid the posting crush..........

Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2016   #12

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Extending the life of ice.

I drain mine about every other day. Been guilty of loosening the cap as I was making a drink, and than forgetting to re-tighten until the next day. Lost ice for sure because of inebriated stupidity.

I will say that my 1st world cooler problems are non-existent with the yeti. I never manage my cooler on 1-week trips. Still manage to have plenty of ice.

Edit: of course it always helps to have 'real' ice. And yes, I was on the cutting edge of 'the guy that froze 2 1/2 gal water jugs' back in the early '90s in my deep freezer. It's the absolute best way to keep things cold without having to have cooler sloppage or draining. Had ice back in '94 on a grand trip after cooking my 3 days of meals on day 12 with a split lid gott 123. Used the last of it on day 15 with an ice pick for margs. The cold water was amazing on the August trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #13

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Do you fill the jugs with scalding hot water before you freeze them? Gives you clear, dense ice with very little air trapped within.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #14

irvine, California

I just let out a quart or less of water for expansion. Worked amazingly well all the time I had the freezer. On week trips, I very rarely even needed to use the water for drinking, so I just re-froze it for the next trip. Usually over half the ice was still there. That was with the old split lid coolers with a quilted moving blanket kept wet. Now I do nothing whatsoever for 1 week trips in hot temps. And I add warm beers at times.

On my 3 GC trips in the '90s starting with that one, used dry ice to keep things frozen to the put in. My fresh veggies were in a separate cooler until the launch, I then added them and left the veggie cooler in my truck. Since then, I've rented boats and had food packs for the GC. For the scores of other week trips, it's been the best way to go.

I wish I had the freezer space now living in downtown Denver.

Old 07-11-2016   #15
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
A while back I forgot to close my drain for a couple day's, and didn't notice a difference in ice loss, so I started just leaving it open on purpose, still wasn't losing ice because of it, and I didn't have to jam my hand down in there, or lose ice from forgetting to drain it.
Now I just leave the dam thing open, and am still the last person with ice left on the trip.
Course I have plenty of extra shit around my Ice chest, so the drain stay's pretty cool down there. Sure sombodys flow charts will prove I'm wrong, but it seems to work fine.
Old 07-11-2016   #16

irvine, California

I left my drain cap almost off. I'm very sure that accelerated melting. Based on many other trips where I didn't do that. Noticeable difference. Your ice may vary. The best ice I've used was last year from a ice maker in SoCal. 22lb blocks that lasted on a 9day San Juan and a 4 day horsethief/Ruby:westwater and back to SoCal. Total of 18 days including travel and lalagagging time. Still had 1/3 of the blocks. Didn't manage shit. I didn't drain much either that trip. Those blocks were completely clear -- no oxygen, think sculpture ice. 4 of them for 18 days in my 125 yeti...I had room because I re-supplied for both trips. And yes, I added beer too them on both trips. That said, they were not summer trips -- May.

Old 07-12-2016   #17

Salt Lake City, Utah
If leaving the drain cap off all the time, wouldn't your cooler and food be exposed to contaminants and bacteria from river water and such? Just sayin.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #18

irvine, California
Not all the way off. Food is always in ziplocks. Didn't notice any water the 2 times I did that.

Old 07-12-2016   #19
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
If leaving the drain cap off all the time, wouldn't your cooler and food be exposed to contaminants and bacteria from river water and such? Just sayin.
Don't Fuck up.
Old 07-12-2016   #20

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
A while back I forgot to close my drain for a couple day's, and didn't notice a difference in ice loss, so I started just leaving it open on purpose, still wasn't losing ice because of it, and I didn't have to jam my hand down in there, or lose ice from forgetting to drain it.
Now I just leave the dam thing open, and am still the last person with ice left on the trip.
Course I have plenty of extra shit around my Ice chest, so the drain stay's pretty cool down there. Sure sombodys flow charts will prove I'm wrong, but it seems to work fine.
I bought my setup as a bundle and the previous owner of the raft just drilled a tiny hole in the drain cap (probably a 1/16" hole). It seems to work well for letting the water drain slowly without letting a bunch of river water in.

I haven't gone as far as to plug that tiny hole to find out if keeping the melt water makes stuff last longer, but I do know that I did a hot deso trip last month and still had some large pieces of the blocks I bought the day before the trip left over and I wasn't that great at cooler etiquette beyond keeping a wet towel over it. This is a Rubbermaid 178 cooler...so nothing fancy as far as stuff you can get today goes. Its got a pretty burly pad that sits on top (the cooler is the captains seat) which I'm sure helps.

I actually have a roll of that reflective bubble wrap insulation but haven't gotten around to cutting it to fit the cooler like bighorn did with his, but its on the list before the next trip for sure.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote