Old 06-05-2015   #11
Boise, Idaho
It's not really an epic disaster but it's kind of funny....

I flipped my brand new boat, on it's maiden voyage, on the very first rapid, less than 2 miles from the put in on the Main Salmon. Oh ya and it's a class II rapid. It's called Killam and at 4.6 on the Corn Creek ramp there is a hole that if you hit it exactly wrong it will flip your brand new 143R right over. The rest of the trip went much better.

The disaster part was I lost my hat I guess. Can't wait to run that again sometime.

BlueTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #12
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by jgrebe View Post
I had a fairly major f-up on a Grand trip in March this year. I'm pretty blind without glasses - I mean really blind. Day 4 I put on my PFD and pop a lens from my glasses into the river. Switch to my spare glasses and two hours later flip my boat in Sockdalager. Just a dumb move and bad timing. Anyway, I came out from underneath the boat without my glasses (yes I did have a keeper but got tore off anyway). During the recovery another oarsman got two fingers broken so we are suddenly two oarsmen down. The solution was to put the guy with the broken hand on front of my boat as my "seeing eye dog". Heard a lot of " big f'ing hole on the left" for the rest of the trip. LOL but we made it with further incident. Props to my (now) good buddy Andrew.
Dude, that's the best solution to the problem!

-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #13
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
My very first river trip, helping my buddy's dad take a commercial trip of Minnesota college kids down Dolores back in 1995. I have no clue how to row, never been on a river before. I was given a 15 foot bucket boat, gear and a few passengers. First two days I make a fool out of myself bouncing off rocks and messing up landings in high current.

Day 3 we come up to Snaggletooth at 5pm, decision to run it. I refused to murder someone, my buddy runs my boat down. Boats are tied to the rock at the bottom of snaggletooth by a student (all boats tied together). I am helping buddy's dad run his boat down, bailing like crazy. We bump the tied boats with a very heavy boat, rock comes loose and all boats going down towards the wall with my buddy and a few chicks.

Boats get hammered by the Wall. My right frame is broken, oar tower is gone. Solution? Me on one oar, 4 passengers with paddles on the other. Running it like a semi paddle boat, it was awesome!

-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote