Old 08-25-2015   #21
Salt Lake City, Utah
I've used two dutch oven lids for one dutch oven for cakes and breads on a Partner stove with good results. You heat one up before you start and then place it on top and then start heating the second. When the lid is to temperature you swap. Keep swapping until its done.

richjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #22
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
propane torch?

Weed Dragon- Garden Torch Kit -

“HOLD THE DOOR!” — Hodor
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #23
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
what about using Lava rocks like they use in some gas grills. heat the lava rocks in place of the charcoal. (might have to replace them while cooking with some you have set aside heating) just a thought. not something I've ever tried. I do know those rocks hold their heat for a long time (at least the ones in my fancy weber grill do)
"Thats what" - She
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #24
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
Would appreciate more feedback on the Camp Chef Dome system.

Not having to carry bags of charcoal on trips would be a really good thing for us DO cooks.

We have used it to cook pizzas, potatoes and cobblers on our Camp Chef Explorer stove with great results. I haven't had a chance to give it a try on my new Partner 2 burner, but I think it might work even better as there is better control of the heat (read smaller flame).

I think the diffuser plate is necessary, as I have still burned the bottom of a few pizzas while using it.

The dome traps heat from the burner and allows the oven to absorb the heat pretty evenly. The second and later pizzas tend to come out better as the oven is pre-heated and cooks the toppings better before the bottom is burned.

I find that the "warm" setting on the Explorer stove works well for the actual cooking phase once the oven is hot.
Quacktacular81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015   #25
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
I've used the camp chef dome once. It worked. Make sure the legs of the oven fit on your diffuser. It worked okay. I never used it again because I love cooking with charcoal.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015   #26
Jenks, Oklahoma
Thanks Gents for the DO Dome feedback.

This gives me the incentive to try this gadget out.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015   #27
p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
Currently there are no restrictions along the riv, just talked to rangers at North Fork, regarding open flames, fires, and charcoal are okay. So far no problems with having matches either. Keeping my fingers crossed heading up for a trip Sept. 12.
rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015   #28
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Ruby Horsethief has a fire restriction that includes charcoal. I bought a Camp Chef dome, but I have a GSI anodized aluminum dutch oven. Will the heat be too much and not dispersed enough for the aluminum?
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015   #29
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by shoenfeld13 View Post
Ruby Horsethief has a fire restriction that includes charcoal. I bought a Camp Chef dome, but I have a GSI anodized aluminum dutch oven. Will the heat be too much and not dispersed enough for the aluminum?
I say if you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen.

But seriously, the melting point of that dutch is probably close to 1300F and you are not cooking on a blaster. Remember the goal is to keep the inside of the oven around 300-400 depending on what you are cooking. So, unless you are looking to melt some should be fine.
"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015   #30
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
I was cooking bread in the dutch ovens at 450 to 500 degrees - no problem. I also stuck an oven thermometer in the vent at the top of the dome to help monitor temperature.

unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote