Mountain Buzz banner

Drowning on the Rogue

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  UriahJones 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I just pulled off the Rogue after a Tuesday thru Saturday trip. (19th - 23rd). I believe that the 5 drownings are correct, but that includes deaths along the entire river. My understanding from talking with the Rangers was that there were 2 in Grants Pass area, 2 in the Hog's Creek section of the river (18 year old, and 70 year old - apparently the latter was intentional was what I heard, i.e. suicide)

The other death happened at Wildcat the Sunday before we put on, but the body was still there when we passed it on Wednesday. They dropped the water level significantly in order to extract the body on Thursday, just in time for us to head through Blossom at low water :)

Very sad always to hear of deaths on the river, and again a reminder to all of us to take the steps that we can. So many deaths are preventable through proper training, and preparation.

Through it is strange to me at least to hear that the drowning happened at Wildcat, I was previously unaware that there was a great deal of risk associated with that rapid. Nor was I aware that Alligator Rock was a sieve, or trap point. Good to remember that all rapids can be dangerous. Condolences to the family and friends of the lost boater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.