Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 06-27-2012   #31
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Been using Deso Outfitters for many years, no problems.

2tomcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #32
Boof like a Utard.
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1995
For MacDaddy and all interested, Tex's Riverways doesn't do Deso shuttles, never has, and doesn't EVER transport customer cars to anywhere other than their secure back parking lot (approximately 100'). They only do shuttles for paddlers on Labyrinth and Stillwater Canyons of the Green River.

kennyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #33
Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Was just getting off Deso. yesterday afternoon. As we were de-rigging the boats and duckies, a couple of guys come up and ask if they can borrow a phone. They claimed to have been waiting "24 hours" for their shuttle! As I was digging out my phone, I asked who they had used for the shuttle. The guy says Desolation Outfitters. They were none too happy to say the least.... Offered them a ride to Green River, they wanted to stay with their gear. Hope everything worked out for them...
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #34
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Seems like a crap shoot with all these companies. I think most of them do a good job most of the time but when they screw up they screw up good. The day we took out from Deso we saw a car with the drivers door folded back. It was the done by the same company we used. Our vehicle was fine. It's hard for anyone to hire good help these days. It's hit or miss. You can't expect them to do a through background check on employees that earn jack squat. I can just imagine what the turnover rate is for this kind of crappy job. There are probably some drivers that come back every year and do a great job and others that destroy equipment until they get fired. So how do you make sure you get the good drivers? Damned if I know.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #35
., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Its definately a roll of the dice when you trust your vehicle to someone else. Even worse when you sign away your rights on their liability forms. I've been lucky enough not to have any issues so far. We've used River Runners Transport and with great results. I would recommend them for anyone needing a shuttle for yampa/ladore/deso.
Pro Leisure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #36
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Yes, I sincerely hope everything worked out for those folks waiting at Swaseys. Don't know if this would help...I e-mail my take out date AND day, as soon as I get a launch. I also confirm the day AND date a week or so before the trip. In regards to driving shuttle as a "crappy" job...as a former outdoor rec guide who did everything from cleaning groovers, head cook and dishwasher, permit planning, LNT training for Forest Service and NPS staff, as well as transporting clients and running shuttles...there are many safe and reliable drivers, who take pride in their seasonal and low paying jobs...those who do not or cause vehicle damage or who do not deliver on time should be reported to the shuttle company owner.
2tomcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #37
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
A-1 Tumbleweed Tours Shuttle

Just used these folks for a Deso shuttle last week. After seeking recommendations (and finding none), decided to use them anyway because the price difference between them and the predominantly-recommended co. was just too large to ignore. Also spoke with owner a couple of times and was satisfied with responses to my questions.
These guys did a fine job. No issues. Cars delivered in good shape to take-out on time.
Were they 'above and beyond'? Well, one of our group forgot to leave a check in his car. They shuttled his vehicle anyway and he delivered payment afterward.
No, I don't have any connection with these folks. Just adding the info that I was seeking earlier to this thread.
Canyon Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #38
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
After reading all these horror stories. I've found what I think is a workable solution. Anyone see any problems with this? Do you think I'll get hassled by the rangers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-827067412.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	5726  
beware209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #39
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
More on topic, I've used Stagman (Desolation Outfitters) on numerous occasions. I did 23 days from Flaming Gorge to Lake Powell. At the end of the first week he met us in Jensen with my rig where we offloaded garbage, took on fuel, a motor, water, and a prepared cooler he had kept frozen for us. A week later he met us at Green River State Park where he once again brought us another prepared cooler, ice, fuel, alcohol, water, and offloaded more garbage and fecal matter. He's a full service outfitter so shuttling is just part of his business. Most if his drivers I've seen are the elderly, retired and presumably on fixed incomes, never seemed to be in much of a rush.

Consider the difficulties associated with running a small, specialized business in a rural area. For Stagman that means wearing a lot of hats. It also means filling his vehicle with drivers so the maximum number of vehicles can be shuttled in a single trip. I always request my vehicle be delivered at least a day early so as to avoid any confusion about having it there on time.

If you're overly concerned about your vehicle, and you have 2-3 extra days and/or a motor, you can launch at Jensen and save the wear and tear... all paved roads from there. Just make certain you have your ducks in a row for the rangers as you're stranded at that point. It's all flat water.
beware209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013   #40
Colstrip, Montana
Paddling Since: 1986
A-1 Shuttle Service Sucks

A-1 Shuttle left us sitting in 90 degree temperatures at the take out for 3 hours, wondering what happened to our rigs. We found a state park employee who helped us by phoning A-1. We were told they were running late. This is after 7 days on the river. When they finally showed up we asked for a partial refund-no way, these guys are scum do not use them.

zeaper is offline   Reply With Quote

lyons creek clinic