Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 04-19-2012   #21
B.V., Colorado
....bump....Looking for shuttle for May 25th launch. Is my subaru with class ('P') tires going to make it? From the River Runners Transport website:
"The spare tire needs to be able to travel 200 or more miles and donut spares are not adequate for this distance or type of travel. Regular passenger tires (4-ply, “P” rated) are not adequate for this shuttle. Even tires marked with advertising like “Off Road Tracker” are often only “P” type tires."
Trailers shorter than 8-foot or narrower than your vehicle are not appropriate for traveling on rough or dirt roads.
These are guidelines....are they going to turn me down if I show up with class P tires?
Are 12" trailer tires going to get destroyed?
If I rent a truck/van, will the rent-a-car company give me better than class P tires? Will the rent-a-car company even know?
Working all day,driving throught the night, then rigging and launching, running own shuttle not really an option. The airplane shuttle sounds cool, drive myself, but how much time does that take? Cost?
Also, River Runners Transport lists no price on their website...ballpark cost for vehicle shuttle?

thanks for any responses-john

"Huck Finn?...more like huck-and-swim"
Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #22
I think the shuttle is $200 last time we did it with RR. Might be a few bucks more now. I know we shuttled Subaru’s in the past, I doubt they check but putting that on their website gives them an out of you have 2 flats at the takeout.

Several years ago before I bought a dedicated raft trailer I towed a dink 4x8 fold up trailer down there and they shuttled it no problems and no questions. Again, think they are just CYA’ing on their website. Like you said, just guidelines.

FWIW, done many shuttles on Deso, Lodore, etc. with RR and no issues here either.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #23
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
The Subaru's that used the shuttle service in our group a few years ago were all sitting at the take out with flat tires. Of the three Subaru's, the newest had 1 flat, another had two flats, the oldest had 4 flat tires and the spare was mounted up and also flat for a total of 5 flats. The alignment was totally shot also. None of the trucks shuttled were worse for wear. We always do our own shuttle now after that experience.

The roads are not that bad IMHO. Compared to what I drive in Gunnison County they are highways. A Subaru with regular road tires would do fine if driven cautiously. I have blown a truck tire while running the shuttle but the tires were out of tread and I was driving like it was the Baja 1000.

The shuttle drivers drive like they are racing the Dakar in someone else's vehicle. They don't care about how they abuse the car, it's not theirs and they just want it done as quick as possible. They get paid a set price to shuttle the vehicle. The faster they do it the better for them.

The shuttle company is not going to not shuttle your vehicle because you do not have the tire type listed on their website. Just plan on the possibility for flats at the take out and maybe having to replace rims after they have driven them to the takeout on the flat tires... The shuttle company will not reimburse you for damages to the vehicle. The owner of the Subaru with the 5 flat tires and shot alignment tried and got nowhere.
BackCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012   #24
Salida, Colorado
Used them for the first and last time. Drove my 4Runnr with the windows open on muddy roads inside of the vehicle a mess. Bounced my SUV and trailer so hard back window knocked of the track and broke the running boards on my trailer. Never a problem RRT.
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012   #25
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
We hired RRT for Lodore and Deso last year and no problems.
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012   #26
Live Oak, Florida
Paddling Since: 2004
I know this thread is old, but in case anyone checks, I can say that RRT is great. We have used them twice to shuttle our vehicles without incident, and once we had them outfit our entire trip, food and all. I highly recommend them. We take a gourmet approach and requested many items she couldn't purchase in UT. Paul went to CO and picked it all up. That's service. Out group is too small to use them for that this year, but I can't wait to do it that way again. So relaxing. If you need a shuttle, or someone to put your whole trip together, you can't go wrong with RRT.
Litig8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #27
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Has Anyone Used A-1 River Shuttles out of Green River?

Wondering whether anyone has used these folks this season and has any recommendations either way?
Canyon Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012   #28
St George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
I have used RRT twice this year, both times were flawless over the years I have used a lot of different companies but for me none compare to RRT
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012   #29
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Thanks - you mentioned that you have used a lot of shuttle services (in addition to RRT). Was one of them A-1?
Canyon Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012   #30
St George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
I have used River Express Shuttle Service,Green River Shuttle Service,Desolation Outfitters,River Runners Shuttle Service,River Runners Transport and, Tex's Riverways. I have not used A-1 River shuttle. I have not heard anything bad about Tumbleweed Tours and Shuttles I didnt mind most of the companies that I have used,but what I do like about RRT is they are very personable at least to me and are always ready on time and my vehicles are always taken care of. One of the companies I have listed smoked in 2 of our 3 vehicles a few years back. and in 2006 one of the companies was going way to fast in my pickup around a turn and gathered an oil transport truck

MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

lyons creek clinic