Do R1? Is it possible? How? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-14-2016   #1

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Do R1? Is it possible? How?

Tell me when it's feasible to R1 a raft? Is it something you do often? Is it only for getting a raft through a tough rapid? Does it work well?

What kind of boats? Mini me, max, shredder?

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
We used to do it as part of raft guide training for paddle rafts. I think it might be fun in anything you mentioned, if you're so inclined. Works like a canoe, although it takes more oomph to the off side. You can also switch sides. It will teach you to read water if it doesn't frustrate you into giving up.
FallingH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016   #3

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I sure as hell can't paddle my paddlecat in a straight line. I can get through rapids alright but how would you ever paddle through the pools? From my canoeing days I understand the j stroke but that has minor effect. Last time I had a swimmer I resorted to paddling off the bow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Wow...this isn't a troll, your for real?

Yes, you can absolutely R1. Where I'm from you see more people solo in a shredder than r2. It's a wonderful feeling pushing a empty raft, each stoke does so much. I like the puma and paddlecats for r1 boats but I've done alot of it in a 13' otter also.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
I sure as hell can't paddle my paddlecat in a straight line. I can get through rapids alright but how would you ever paddle through the pools? From my canoeing days I understand the j stroke but that has minor effect. Last time I had a swimmer I resorted to paddling off the bow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Shredders are wayyyyy faster than my cat in flat water. Because you put all your weight on one tube it sits low in the water and the river does the work for you. In a cat the water just rushes under you.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016   #6

Denver
I find R1 is a great experience and makes you a better boater overall. However, it depends in when and where, we were R1ing the Minturn Mile when it was in, I wanted to do Dowd Chute, but i missed the window, it would have to be less than 3 feet imo. Numbers would be really nice right now, but you better know all the lines, Browns canyon would probably be a great place to start or better yet, I'd say Parkdale. Its my goal to do both numbers and the Gorge eventually, but again, at lower flows, with a buddy or two (they could be in rafts or kayaks, but are there to help you if needed. Also, I've guided on the Ark for 12 years, so i know all the lines at various flows. Just don't go to high water or you could be sorry, because thats when the river will really push you around, an old buddy would put a heavy cooler in the front as a ballast, but I don't think its needed. Cheers, and with anything else in boating take it easy to begin with and go with solid people who could help you out.
SYOTR.
Other great sections could be gore creek, some sections of clear creek, middle eagle, lower eagle, just avoid any sections with a ton of flat water in windy conditions, ha you'll be blown back to the put in. And my vessel is a 10' White Hyside Mini Max.
Oh and be ready to High side like a spider monkey.
willieWAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016   #7

White salmon, Washington
Paddling Since: 05
Get your J stroke dialed.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Trejos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016   #8

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
This guy slays it r1-

http://youtu.be/LjjH5xNA7KA

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #9
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
There is a guy in Portland Oregon named Martin Orlik that has R-1'ed a 13' Aire down the upper Clackamas pretty successfully, he even got stuck in the hole at Carter falls and got out. I'll see if I can find a link...
Old 08-15-2016   #10

OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I spent an afternoon R1-ing my 14' RMR in one of the Salida play waves at low water. It was good practice for getting the feel of my rig, and a lot of fun too.
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote