Do R1? Is it possible? How? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-16-2016   #21
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learch View Post
There is a guy in Portland Oregon named Martin Orlik that has R-1'ed a 13' Aire down the upper Clackamas pretty successfully, he even got stuck in the hole at Carter falls and got out. I'll see if I can find a link...

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2016   #22

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Here's another good one
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016   #23

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I think it is safe to say that it is possible. I think it would be a whole lot easier in a paddlecat as shown in some of the other videos.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016   #24

I don't get it? Its a good skill to have when your partner falls out but...............Why wouldn't you row if you were by yourself? You can't punch holes, You can't paddle flat stretches with a big head wind. Why do it?
Oc1paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016   #25
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oc1paddler View Post
I don't get it? Its a good skill to have when your partner falls out but...............Why wouldn't you row if you were by yourself? You can't punch holes, You can't paddle flat stretches with a big head wind. Why do it?
As much as I pride my self in being able to take an oar frame down really skinny stuff, eventually you can't do it, if you want to run some things in a raft or cat you have to paddle, and if your by yourself... The issue of the amount of weight you have to carry in can also be a deciding factor.
mattman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016   #26

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Last time on the Alberton Gorge a kayaker asked to borrow our boat at Fang. He r1ed into the rapid and surfed the crap out of it. It blew my mind the speed and ease and skill was inspiring, all on one tube. It's less functional than rowing but possibly a shit ton of fun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016   #27
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
I think it's a niche thing, a good skill to have. I don't think people are going to go out and R-1 a lot of things, but these smaller rivers, or fast moving rivers with no flatwater, it looks like a lot of fun to me. The video I posted is a backyard run for me, there is about 15 miles of good whitewater with very short pools between pretty good whitewater. It's a good fit for R-1'ing a smaller raft, it's really fun to R-2 a Super Puma up there (I've done it) and now I kind of want to try an R-1 trip up there like Martin did just to see if I can.
Old 08-18-2016   #28

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Says the open canoeist.

I used to get the same type of response back home when I'd show up at putins with my cat. Not many people row in the mid Atlantic and as such are clueless about that form of boating. Curtis and I were questioned many times on the upper yough by people that thought they knew what they were talking about.

In flat water a solo shredder is faster than a cat...I know it's mind boggling but it's a fact. Even in a head wind, because in a cat you sit up so high, a shredder is faster. As far as punching holes...who the hell need to? You're in an empty raft, you can high side like a spider monkey. Surfing r1 is the best part of the experience. And honestly if it's not a 14' boat eating monster hole you won't have any issues. Big holes are collisions, the less mass the less inertia means you don't hit things as hard. The boat wants to go up instead of in.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016   #29

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Because it is a TON of FUN!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote