Old 07-09-2016   #11
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for the info - most of my rafting has been down south there. I found a bunch of references (BLM, OARS, etc) that using bronners and campsuds is acceptable - but only off the river as you pointed out (above the high water line). This includes not using it in any hot springs (duh) or other spring or side water source. FYI - these guides were specifically for the MF, LS & MS.

Again - thanks for the guidance. Since I'm typically the chief bottle washer - I'll share this with the rest of the group.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016   #12
Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
The desert rules vs the "Idaho rules" do make for confusion among groups who regularly go between the two systems. I was horrified the first time we were on the Yampa and watched someone soap up in the river. Then again I was horrified a few weeks ago on the MF when we sat across the river and witnessed a group soap up and shave legs in Hospital Bar hotspring, I can only guess that they were from CO and thought this was OK and not just mindless dicks.

Having been introduced to the desert way of doing things where everything goes in the river (dilution is the solution etc) I do wonder about the strained dishwater above the high tide line. In theory dispersion into the brush works allowing filtering etc thru sand and rocks. However, in practice many of those camps are used almost every night throughout the season and there is only so far into the poison ivy people will venture thus there is a concentration of stinky stuff and grease. I have wondered before and will muse again that especially in places like the Main Salmon (hot, dry during July/Aug) this may be contributing toward the yellow jacket problems that seem to have been getting worse.

Definitely agree with CarveDog that straining into a bucket in camp reduces spillage vs trying to strain directly from dishpan, also increases dispersion. The guidelines I have seen say a "strainer fine enough to filter out coffee grounds" goodness knows what mesh size that actually is but a regular kitchen sieve seems to serve that purpose.

Now what about the kitchen tarp issue? Seems like Idaho should be adopting that from the desert rules, yes? Having spend 30 mins "straining" spilled oatmeal out of the sand before now I am a convert. It really helps the minimal trace cause. No, I won't use the phrase "no trace" as that is a blatant lie when groups of 25 or 30 are permitted but that will be the topic of a future rant I'm sure.

wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Originally Posted by Read_N_Run View Post
I've used these: Strainers. They pack well, cost effective and you just toss them over your bucket/bin and dump.
+1 they are great. Note an 100 micron filter will take all night to filter dish water and plug up. The ranger did not know his microns.
+1 on kitchen Tarp

Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life on or off the river. is offline   Reply With Quote