Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 07-06-2015   #11
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
Looking for a few new recipes for a trip next week. Going light weight so no or minimal cooler items. Also minimal to no gluten (not a severe allergy issue so some gluten is ok). Also something that doesn't require fire/charcoal.

Needs to feed 9 folks. Any suggestions?
How many days are you going?

As for gluten free - we have recently found the Barilla brand penne at Costco and it is a great pasta that is GF. My one daughter has asked me the three or four times I have fixed it for her "Dad is this gluten free? cuz it doesn't taste like it." Or some variation almost every time. They have a jarred white sauce that comes in a three pack. We dilute with milk or chick stock and add parm and snap peas - she loves it. For the adults I do some separate with arti hearts and red chili pepper flake. For protein add the canned chick white meat from costco and done.

Some don't like to take glass on the river. You could transfer to plastic bags if you have some cooler space. i go to the thrift store and get old beer cozies and transport to the kitchen in a bucket to prevent breakage. Never had a problem.

There are also some curry pouches that you could drop in hot water to heat from Bombay? foods maybe. Dam good curry for a heat and eat with rice. We also did some grilled at home chicken thighs that we heated up on river for a meal that was awesome too. And glad we cooked ahead, it was 107 in Shoup when we were there. No way I was grilling that night. With coconut rice or something like.
Cabbage lasts really well in a dry box and gives some veg crunch without cooler space. Just keep it dry and I put mine in a paper bag and on cardboard not the drybox bottom.

A few thoughts.

carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Nana are on he shelf at king soopers (albeit in Boulder). I'll try to notice the brand next time. Near east maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #13
summit, Colorado

Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
I realize you're from Boulder, but where in the world can most folks find naan? I'm interested since I enjoy it at Little Nepal.
The City Market in Dillon stocks it on shelves at about knee level at the deli counter - it's the Stonefire brand.
basinrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015   #14
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
I realize you're from Boulder, but where in the world can most folks find naan? I'm interested since I enjoy it at Little Nepal.

If I can get it at most grocery stores here in nowheresville WV...surely yours have it and you just haven't been looking in the right spot.

It's not exactly a mecca of multi-culturalism around here.

2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote