Old 03-08-2015   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Deso/Grey Trip mid Sept.

The Good news: I got a permit, put in Sept 15.
The 'other' news: I don't know anyone with a boat to have a team with for the trip. Not really sure how to go about this, but I don't want to be the only boat on my trip. (Or do I?) I guided for a few seasons in the past, and just got my hands on my own private boat. Unfortunately, i guided in other states and don't currently have any paddling buddies. So, is there anyone who would want to team up for the trip? My boat will be myself, wife, sis and bro in law. Let me know if you are interested. If I am reading the permit correctly, its $25 per person that is due March 15 but i guess we could figure out those details later. Looks like an amazing trip and a good time to draw a permit. If anyone has insight on how to go about this a more productive way, please let me know. Thanks. -Kyle

kmcinto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015   #2
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Not sure what to tell you to get more boats by 3-15, but hit the upper c regularly this summer with the rest of Denver's boating community and meet some people. You may also want to consider renting a boat, 4 adults and all the gear to do deso on one boat in low water doesn't sound ideal.

melted_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015   #3
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 09
I've never been on this stretch. But I have low is the water in sept?
sleighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
You only have to confirm the permit. You can add people right up until the end.

The water will be low, but I wouldn't worry about dragging. Just headwinds and flat water...

Did this trip same time last year. Absolutely beautiful and fully worthwhile.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015   #5
page, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
I would be interested In adding a boat to your trip.... if you will have me!!
azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015   #6
March 15

Like he said, all you have to do for now is pay for your confirmed group number, you can add on later, but do not print out the permit until all your group is figured out. Once the permit is printed it is a done deal.
zercon is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I have done it with one boat, no big deal easy row for an experienced oars person. In 1 boat would be overloaded to the point where you could have to drag it a little IMO.
Great trip for scenery, Indian rock art and don't miss the turtle shell fossil. One of my favorite trips
Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life on or off the river. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015   #8
Bailey, Colorado
Did it last August with my wife and two kids, not sure how August flows compare with September. Single raft and a duckie. I'm pretty new to rafting and had no problems. No dragging, though some of the rapids were pretty bony. Highly recommend taking a duckie or two, lessens the load in the raft and gives folks a little variety.
Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015   #9
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Did it around the 15th last Sept. No problems with dragging, but sloooow flows. You will row lots. Three Fords becomes the biggest rapid, and the third hole at the bottom gets impressive. Only realized I was in Joe Hutch when I was almost thru. It was still plenty warm, mid-90s during the day. My trip was a single 14' SB, there were only two othe groups of one boat each on the river at the same time, and one was a day ahead but slow. You'll do fine, a couple of the guide schools use that run for their training course. Starts slow and builds, each part progressively harder. Despite some of the negative comments you hear, the BLM ranger was friendly and pleasant, and gear check took maybe 5 minutes and was done the night before. Highly, highly, highly recommend River Runners Transport in Vernal, for shuttle.
Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015   #10
cedar city, Utah
Flows could be noticeably lower this season, so go prepared for sub-2000 cfs and possibly down to dam releases just below 1k. Wyoming is average to below average and northern Utah tribs will be very dry by then considering their current bone-dry condition.

Deso is noticeably one boat friendly but that is a lot of passengers for one boat unless going big like an 18 footer. I only say that because of # of people, all their personal gear and you will have significant group gear to carry unless you go noticeably light. Water alone for that many people is logistical concern.

Should be a great trip either way if you know what to expect: slow first couple days with limited camping until past mile 25; reliable desert winds that can be downright epic in there; you could very well have tremendous solitude launching on a Tuesday, something I love but others hate; not a classic whitewater run, more a desert float with easy to moderate rapids scattered throughout in an even fashion; brilliant wildlife (so many big horn sheep in first 3 days) which also means being bear savvy; warm to hot days and nights that finally begin to cool off; etc. Its likely my favorite run (Main would be if I lived closer) but it throws some people off.

Go prepared for peak monsoon as the last couple Septembers have been unusually wet and BIG record breaking storms have moved in. Biggest regret I hear people mention for Deso is going with poor could be dry but going prepared for big winds and rain together is wise. If prepared there are few places as spectacular as Deso to watch monsoon thunderstorms; some of my fondest memories.

Have a wonderful trip!

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote