Old 04-13-2014   #11
Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
I did it in late May 2004 launching at the Ouray Bird Sanctuary ramp. The ramp was gravel and in good shape then. Easily backed my trailer to the water and slid raft in. Did not want to deal with the sand wash road. Bugs were not a major annoyance but the wind, trash, and constant noise of drill rigs and occasional shooting were. The birds we saw were amazing when I could look up from the constant toil of pushing downstream. Campsites were few but we found an opening in the dense bank vegetation along river right that led to a corral and old cabin. It appeared to have an old two track leading to it which explained the abundance of garbage. Although it was a decent camp and out of the wind I wouldn't do this stretch unless you are a history buff, naturalist, or glutton for punishment. I'm all three and glad I can cross it off my list.

mgpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014   #12
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Thanks for all,the great comments, especially Nugs and the super detailed PM. My Deso permit is for May 5, so the bugs should be fairly minimal. Just 3 or 4 people going, either 1 or 2 boats. So long as May 3 or 4 doesn't decide to be real windy it should be pretty pleasant; if the wind blows, not so much! Sounds similar to running Labyrinth from Green River State Park, but with even more human impact and not much infrastructure in the way of a launch ramp.

maschwee61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off