Old 08-01-2014   #11
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Correction: Our launch date is Sat 10/18.

duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #12
Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Should mostly still be yellow and beautiful. I think any boat would work. I know i did it in a shredder. However the people in the 14' and 16' boats were dryer, there for slightly warmer.

danthefloatinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #13
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
My first wife and I did a Labor Day trip in 1998, it went so well we did a first week of Oct trip about 5 weeks later. We had a couple of chilly/drizzly days, but the rest of the trip was awesome. Sunny/60's during the day, around freezing at night (bundle up). We were fortunate enough to have about 2500 cfs, which I rather doubt you'll get.

Zero bugs, almost zero other boaters, cottonwoods were still blazing - we even saw and photographed a sizable deer herd wading across the river, probably 25 head. Bottom line, if you haven't already determined, it can be really really nice out there...and it can be chilly/wet/slow. Bring warm clothes, bring more-than-usual firewood and firestarter, plan to get early morning starts on the river (days are shorter, you'll want a just-in-case-it-blows-like-crazy time allowance), and it could be a great trip.
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #14
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post

My start date is the 15th. Any idea about traditional flows by then, realizing this year's releases from FG dam have been high (but I doubt will continue into mid October). Can lightly loaded 14 and 16' rafts get down? Or may bring my 12.5' cat.

Also, cottonwoods still yellow then or leaves gone?

- Jon
This will be our first autumn trip.

Average flows are supposedly around 2600-3000 cfs according to USGS data.

We are bringing a 12 footer.

Cottonwoods....all depends on nighttime lows and the precip in the coming months.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #15
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1955
There is an notice some where out ther giving the flows for the Green. They will be letting more water out of F.G. than usual. I think it had something to do with the fish research. They are attempting to mimic what a normal pre dam flow would be. Lodore is coming up now. Looks really great for my 8-23-14 Lodore launch. If someone knows how to find it, post it. If my memory is correct the high release extends into October. Around 3000 cfs.
cahatch52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #16
aka The Curmudgeon
Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
My very first Lodore trip was Oct 14 launch and we had excellent colors in the cottonwoods. Also came out in a dense fog on the last morning and though a little spooky as I had not done it before it was spectacular visually. We had nice days and nippy nights. Deso would be about the same regarding the cottonwoods, although the peak color dates change as much as 2 weeks from one year to the next.
Don't Wanna Die Askin' for Another Chance
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #17
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
October Deso

I floated solo on Deso the 1st week of October about 10 years ago. The river was at 1000 cfs, temps b/t 80 and 40, incredibly crisp and clear. No rain, no wind, no bugs, and I encountered one other group the entire week. Here's what surprised me: it was dark by 7pm. I was glad to have more than one good book. Have fun. I'm jealous.
mooreso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #18

I did Sand Wash to Hite several years ago, and had incredibly variable weather.

The first few days it was better than tolerable -- maybe 70's with lovely colors. Then very hard, cold rain for a few days, and not much fun. Past Green River we had a couple more days of somewhat better weather -- still not warm, but at least not raining hard. However, the day we reached the Confluence I had ice on my decks, and thrashed my arms to keep warm while my buddy signed us up for a camp at Spanish Bottom.

While we waited at Spanish Bottom for some buddies coming down from Moab, the weather turned beautiful and warm. We ran the rapids in shorts and t-shirts.

Long way of saying, be ready for anything.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #19
Missoula, Montana
Just don't use Gil for your shuttle and you'll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Wavewrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014   #20
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
This could be a GREAT fall trip. Plan a little extra time and shorter days. I am jealous!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

SchubeCM is offline   Reply With Quote