Old 08-13-2015   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Deso camps, Ute permits, etc

We launch next week, and its our first time down. Earlier in the season there was a post about the Ute Tribe shutting down river left access to camping even with a permit. Anyone have an update on this?

Sounds like mosquitos and bugs have eased a bit.

How about the winds...we have a small group of 4. Any chance of beating the wind if we get early starts on the water?

Any favorite camps and/or hikes anyone cares to recommend?

Chris Morrison
CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015   #2
C. Springs, Colorado
Winds are a crap shoot, but the earlier on the water the better. Watch the forecast for vernal.

It's hard to find a bad camp in Deso. With a small group like yours.....your not limited to the larger ones. Favorites are Rock House, Turtle camp(mile76.7), Cedar Ridge, Calf canyon, Lion Hollow, Joe Hutch, Rincon, Wire Fence, Range Creek, Poverty Gulch, Rattle Snake, Butler.

IMHO best hikes are Fire Water Canyon to the Indian ruin and moonshiners cabin. Bring extra water bottles and fill them at the spring just past the cabin. Lots of poison ivy around the spring so be careful. Rock creek and ranch. Best place to do a layover is calf canyon so you can explore Rock creek. There are several rock art panels up rock creek along with a ruin, if you hike far enough. The ranch is really cool and has a hide out in the rocks above and behind it. There is another indian ruin just down stream from the ranch. The rincon is cool to hike. Range creek, florance creek, wire fence and Mcphersons all have excellent hikes in them. Enjoy and good luck......wish I was going....

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015   #3
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Last news was Ute permits situation was all resolved, so safe to buy and camp. Ditto with CD on winds. We are headed in to monsoon season in what has been a wet year. Know that deso and side canyons regularly sees flash floods and camp accordingly. Always tie up your boats very securely, even if it's just a brief stop. If you're shuttling with RRT, you're in good hands. Take deet anyway. Even if the skeeters are gone the biting flies aren't.
Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015   #4
Kanab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2013
We launched about three weeks ago. The Ute permit was good to go and well worth it IMHO. The winds really started to pick up around 1-2 p.m. The bugs were not to bad...biting flies about drove my wife to drinking. I guess they like female blood better....
ktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015   #5
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
FYI - I was at the Fruita rest stop emptying my Groover after Westwater last weekend and talked with a group that just got off Deso. School Boy Canyon flashed and took out part of their camp, including their latex gloves so I gave them mine. Not sure what that camp looks like now. When I was down the week before it was great weather with strong winds one afternoon. We had a great layover at Jack Creek after two long slow days but we had 8 days so plenty of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015   #6
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
We elected not to camp at a couple of spots after seeing evidence of flash floods and low lying tent spots. Be aware of what the ground is trying to tell you before you pitch your camp. Plenty of amazing sites- just a heads up to pay attention to what could happen if you choose poorly.

Ute permit situation was resolved in mid May- good to go.

See if you can find the "air conditioned petroglyphs" on river right. Cool air blows out of a crack in the cliff wall adjacent to the panel. One of the coolest parts of Deso for sure!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015   #7
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
Ute permit situation was resolved ...
I just bought the Ute permit, for our September trip, using Paypal via a link from riverbrain. Are they going to send me a document in the mail, or do I just print my paypal receipt, or what ?
jge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015   #8
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Just print that out- you'll never hear from them

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015   #9
Fruitland, Utah
Paddling Since: 2012
Just got off of Deso two days ago. There was a lot of people had to find camp early. We had wind almost every afternoon, but it was a great trip. I love that country. Wish I was going with. The kids liked watching the horse by tabyago.

dwayne10 is offline   Reply With Quote