Old 02-21-2012   #21
Hayden Lake, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1981
We are going with an outfitter which is the only way one can get access to any wilderness river. As far as I know, every river in Kamchatka is associated with some outfitters and so access by foreigners is off limits without permission. Most outfitters are associated with an American counterpart (ours is "The Best of Kamchatka"-he has a website). We've used him before but this will be the first time we'll try kickboats. The 2 rivers we'll do are perfect for them though. On one we'll be transported by motorboat to a section to float and then get picked up later that day and on the other we'll be followed by a russian (who occasionally speaks english abit-they all understand vodka!) This russian will be in a raft and we'll float to a different camp down the river each day. This will allow my buddy and I to pound the banks with mice patterns which they eat much better than Alaska. In fact, last time we were there the American outfitter was fishing with us, gill hooked and accidentally killed a 21 inch rainbow. When we opened it up it had 2 mice and a small rat in its stomach. If you want to call me or vise versa let me know. This my first time at a site such as this and the help has been invaluable. The problem with the Baylee is I can't fin in it so can't fish while floating. Because of all the negative comments and costs of Scadden boats we are actually leaning towards 64 inch long Outcast Super Fat Cat float tubes which is a compromise between a kickboat and old style float tube-only my feet are in the water and hopefully we won't flip it in the very mild (class 1) riffles we float through though my buddy is still worried about this issue with such a short boat.

Originally Posted by billfish View Post
Bob, this sounds like an awesome trip. Can you or any of your companions speak the language or do you have some local connections to help out? How will you do shuttles if floating rivers? What are you doing for a motor, you said 2hp, why not electric? I'd really like to hear more.

I would also agree with Shapp, the Baylee from Feather Craft is worth looking into, 10 lbs, but pricey. If the 200 bucks for 50 lbs is each way, I might think about an inexpensive, light weight used boat and leave it there. Trade for vodka at the end. What about customs, do you have to pay any tax bringing a boat/motor in?

Thanks for sharing any info.

bobthetrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #22
Guy Guy
bonney lake, 98391
Paddling Since: 2010
scadden pampage

I just bought my first toon (scadden rampage) and would appreciate any of your sugestions and photos of your improvements.

guy magno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #23
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Improvements and precautions- from somebody who's been there with a Scadden boat and learned a lot from the experience-

First and foremost, get hold of some spare valves from Scadden. He's about the only one that has them- they're an off-brand called "Bravo" from Italy, although he's been known to call them Halkey Roberts valves at trade shows and in his Youtube videos. They're not- and the two are not cross-compatible. They're not compatible with anything readily available in the US. A Halkey inflator will ruin a Bravo valve- it's slightly longer than the Bravo is deep- and they're quite poorly made. I went through several before I paid closer attention and realized I'd been misled by Scadden on the valves and the Halkey tool was actually ruining the Bravo valves. He'll spin some story about the Bravos being more expensive- but that's simply not true. He'll also say that you have to open a Halkey to inflate it, while the Bravo allows you to leave it shut and still fill the tubes- also not true. Works just fine on a higher quality Halkey
Roberts valves- it's a cost cutting measure and nothing more. Bottom line, the valves are delicate- only use the cheesy little rubber hose attachment he gives you and nothing else- And always carry a spare and a pump.

Get ready to replace the cordura parts on the boat- the fabric fades noticeably after a very short time- and they're not really substantial enough for heavy use. The straps pull away from the fabric and the buckles break easily. Aire sells some much better versions made of grey PVC.

You can upgrade from the aluminum oars pretty easily- and you will want to. I fabbed a pair out of some Werner touring kayak paddles. End of season sale, they were 1/2 what Scadden charges for essentially the same thing. Used a diamond drill bit to cut holes in the graphite shafts- and a drill press to be sure the holes were square to the shafts. The result is plenty strong enough for the application- the weak point will be the adhesive that holds the "oar lock" on the hull. If I were going to do anything other than a day trip, I'd get my hands on some solvent and adhesive to repair one of them should they tear off. If you're careful about inflation pressure, you'll get a lot less movement and stress on those. Under-inflated, there is a lot more stress at that point of failure.

Overall, these are "unique" boats. The design allows good function on the river as long as you stay well within the boats' limitations. Despite Scadden's "creative" marketing, his boats are NOT class V capable- go look at any product made by any reputable whitewater manufacturer (aire, sotar, maravia etc) and it will become instantly apparent that you're in something made for far lighter applications. And that is fine- you'll have benefits of portability and ease of control with fins in appropriate conditions....something you're not going to get in a true whitewater quality boat.

If you're going to do anything multi-day, or anything approaching class III, take a critical look at every part of that boat. As a float tube or gentle river craft, it's very functional- beyond that, in my opinion, you're pushing your luck. I pushed mine for one season- and then bailed for greener pastures.
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012   #24
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
Originally Posted by guy magno View Post
scadden pampage

I just bought my first toon (scadden rampage) and would appreciate any of your sugestions and photos of your improvements.
Did you actually read this thread or any of the others on scammins boats? Oh wait you bought one so obviously not. I hope you didn't pay full price for it. There is a lot of better stuff out there at comparable prices, like the air power drifter. Not trying to bash your new boat but according to the majority of scadden owners who are members of this site(and have posted more than just once to defend their purchase), Scaddens boats leave a lot to be desired and definately should not be "class v" rated, and that Dave Scadden is MUCH better at selling boats than designing them. Any brand new fishing rig that you have to replace sub-standard outfitting on right out of the box is kind of a joke. I wouldn't be surprised to see them selling in Walmart some day.

matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote