Old 06-07-2016   #1
cedar city, Utah
D-Ring Placement

Looking for some advice.

I have an old Avon that has been undergoing some project work the last year we have owned it. Last year I replaced all of the D-rings on the side to hold the frame, including 2 on each quarter panel of the stern. Yesterday I replaced the one on the front side of the bow as that is were I tie off the most often and the 20 year old webbing sewn into the d-ring was sun damaged.

My first question for today:

1) Were would you place a d-ring on the stern, as I only bought one extra? On the inside of the stern panel, top center or in the same spot as the old on the outside? I would need the existing d-ring on the outside if place there. I have become efficient at that process but its not one I love doing. I am mostly interested in providing a more reliable option for multi-day loads in the stern bay. I do run my chicken line all the way back though. I rarely tie off to shore with my stern unless its for short moments of unloading or when I tandem tie on the rare occasions I want to be parallel to shore.

2) Its an old boat now with a bunch of defunct d-rings. I removed one last season but decided to leave the others as I assumed the were doing no harm. They are an eyesore and give my boat a certain character. Is there any benefit to removing all of the d-rings? I have cut the worst ones already as I did not want people clipping into them for rigging or emergencies.

Thanks folks. Still relatively new at DIY boat work. Always something to learn.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016   #2
Paddling Since: 1994
Inside the stern panel doesnt disperse the weight on the tube as well. If you do put it on the inside make sure to orient it with the direction of pull you expect. FWIW, I would leave it in the original position if you are using it to suspend and hold down gear. I have both inside and outside stern d rings on my boats.

No real function benefit to remove the old patches. They provide wear protection to the area and will leave a brown stain unless you want to lose some rubber which I wouldn't advise for cosmetic benefit on a 20 yr old boat.

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016   #3
cedar city, Utah
Generous as always, Zach.

I kind of figured a ring on the outside would distribute forces better. I know it works that way in technical rigging for anchors in canyoneering. I assumed some force was lost to the straps running over the tube plus the direction of pull is more favorable.

One more D-Ring to remove I suppose then. Wasn't too hard yesterday.

Will leave the others. I don't want to remove any more hypalon than needed.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote