Old 08-27-2014   #1
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Croatian Rafting - Information needed!

I am a raft guide from Colorado studying abroad in Hungary this semester. I was looking to take some of my friends here rafting in Croatia but I'm having a difficult time finding information on rivers and where to rent gear. If anyone has rafted privately in Europe or has any information that would help it would be much appreciated!

cjbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #2
Lawson, Colorado
We spent 3 weeks travelling around eastern Europe last May/June and made our way thru Croatia: I can say for certain that there is commercial rafting in Croatia but I don't have specific details.

We stayed at this place near Plitvice National Park in Croatia: Plitvice Mirić Inn

There were some brochures there for rafting and I made a casual inquiry: sounded like the better whitewater is across the border in Bosnia which is not too far from Plitvice. We weren't interested in rafting on that trip I was just curious.

I would recommend a visit to Plitvice and the place above is excellent for lodging and dinner. You could try contacting them for rafting info too.

eze420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #3
Paddling Since: 96
Slovenia is just north of Croatia and has the amazing Soca River. Haven't rafted it but there was certainly a thriving commercial boating community there. One of the most beautiful rios I've ever paddled.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #4
Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
The Una looks like the best river that I saw, but I had a hard time finding any gear for hire in Croatia. There are commercial raft outfits all over the place though, so you will probably find it easier to just jump in with one of them.

As Phil suggests, the Soca in Slovenia is not far away, though it is almost entirely II/III with the exception of the syphon gorge which you wouldn't want to raft. I hired kayak gear this weekend from Alpin Action, though not sure about raft rental.

All of the rivers are up with the rain though, so you have plenty of options if you either find gear or choose to go with a raft company.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. - Helen Keller
yakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #5
Croatian Rafting

We went rafting in Croatia on the Cetina River near the town of Omis. Not far from Makarska. It was class 2-3 but set in a fairly nice canyon with waterfalls, rock jumps, etc.

As others have said Soca in Slovenia is very nice class 2-4 with lots of options for rafting and kayaking. We also went canyoning with a guide while in Slovenia this year and it was a awesome!
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Active & Adventure holidays Croatia | Raftrek Adventure Travel is listed in the recent kayak session article about Croatia as a local outfitter / contact
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #7
Golden, Colorado
I third checking out the Soca valley in Slovenia. We did a trip over there with Shredders we brought with us. It is ridiculously beautiful. It's like Austria without the Austrians and better food, and cool people and surreal blue waters. The valley has a thriving boating community. Some friends that met us from Amsterdam rented a weird ducky like thing that was part ducky part Indian canoe. I think they rented it in Kobarid. The only contact I have there is Igor at the Prijon Sport Center in Bovec. We did go to Croatia also, but didn't boat there.

Igor Miekuz
Prijon Sport Center
+386 5 388 67 20

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote