Old 11-11-2005   #31
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
lake creek has been rafted, including the VI's at the bottom. i dont remember the guys name, but hes the dude that lives in the area and thankfully keeps that run clean of wood. props to him, i wish i could remember his name

yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #32
Salida, Colorado

Other than a name on a map what differentiates a creek from a river?

No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005   #33
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Mania- Sounds good. I'll find you here or your website.

Danny- Bear Creek was in a 12' hyside R3, except no fun falls R2, flow medium??. JohnnyWW was guiding and Rasta was in a raft for fun. Started in Ideldale (I think). to just above the dam, I've heard it's clear below there now. Your stinger would probably be more fun. I'm sure you're down for Black Canyon too.

Yeti - I think that's Manofthehouse4now. You out there?
riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #34
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
So here's the TR on Tallulah: if you're gonna do Oceana in a raft, run far left.... and I mean, FAR left! We had a line on Saturday that'll be good for chuckles and memory for some time-- crested Oceana to make for the left line, got spun around on the ledge while "drifting" offline (can you really 'drift' at 40 mph, though? ), NAILED the Thing DEAD CENTER and backwards, went nearly airborne, got thrown into the hydraulic, then cut to a nice, long surf there in the hole (seriously, prolly about 2 min of surf time). I heard someone compare it to "watching a VW bus crash into the Thing... backwards!" later on.

Sunday was a near-perfect line... lessons learned the hard way, I guess! But I still wouldn't have traded Saturday for anything-- Tallulah's entirely rafatable, one of the best experiences of my life, highly recommended if you ever make it this way. Just be prepared for getting that monstrous barge down the 665-stair descent into the gorge....

I don't have the footage from the weekend yet, but when I do get it, I'll be happy to pass it on to ya'.
newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #35
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002

Can't wait to see the sports center highlights!
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #36
C. Springs, Colorado
The 9' Hyside Minimees work great for creeking. You can also run the Ark with them all year long. IMO, they are the best play in a raft, no matter what the water level or size of river. A true class V machine in a pint size package.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #37
Front Range, Colorado
I'm afraid we won't be making SportsCenter anytime soon... mostly because these guys went down Oceana right ahead of us on Saturday:

Old 11-14-2005   #38
oh yeah
hey newby,

i haven't paddled the tallulah; what are the two features that we see? i assume they flipped on the thing but what do you call the lateral on river right? and were they trying to get over the lateral on the right and avoid the thing? or was the cross river surf intentional? also, who has video of the raft that ejected it's crew from last year or the year before? i heard that the crew got launched onto the bank.

danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #39
Front Range, Colorado
Hey Danger,
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with all the ins and outs of the Tallulah myself, but the two main lines folks run on Oceana are either far left (straight shot down, skirt the Thing, play your cards the right way and you skip across the hole), or down center, hit the rock ledge, ferry left across the face of the Thing, and slide the last few feet down into the hole. High water realease dates (Sundays), the hydraulic gets a bit sticky, and many people flip at the bottom.

As far as the face of Oceana goes, there's a rock shelf on the far right about 3/4 of the way down, and that's been popularized as a raft line (although not always a successful one, as the video here attests to!).... but you couldn't pay me to run right in either a raft or a kayak, though. The guys in the shredder were running classic center line-- so the cross-river was intentional. I don't know/ think that each feature on Oceana has a name, but looking down from the top, what you see is-- starting on the left, the Thing most of the way down, near the top is another smaller roostertail, halfway down on the center line is a rock shelf, and about halfway down on the far right is that lateral protruding shelf you referenced (connects with the center shelf, only much more pronounced and turbulent). I don't know what the shredder boys were thinking, as we didn't talk to them before their run.

Last year's footage? um.... I know what you're talking about, but I don't know who has it. I'm pretty sure it showed up in one of the Paddlesnake videos, though, so you may want to try googling it? I'm sorry I'm not more help!
Old 11-14-2005   #40
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993

that is some sweet video... good on ya for getting after it..

stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote