Old 11-09-2005   #11
my buddies ran OBJ in a 10ft raft this summer. it was the sickest thing i've seen. it was supprisingly raftable too.

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #12
robbie from and a crew rafted south silver creek in Cali, like 4 years ago. I am pretty sure they ran it all, even skyskraper.
I think there was a photo them doing it in Paddler awhile back.

I would not raft creeks, but thats cause I am a puss, I enjoy being protected by hard plastic, that can eddy out in a hurry.

JJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #13
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
okay i will give out one thing i plan to raft and need a partner... the black canyon. i know its been rafted before there is an account in 'liquid locamotive'. no i am not related to tube II. anyone?
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #14
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Isn't there a pretty big portage?

I haven't done clear creek yet, I'll have to check it out as an "intro" run. I did Pine Creek once, and haven't done Gore. I would like to get into R2ing some stuff more. I have seen the segment from No Big Name. Billpaulings on here and I own our raft together, and he used to guide with some of those guys I think.

Dana, isn't there a really nasty portage in the Black Canyon? Is it doable with a raft?
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #15
i have never been to the black canyon but portaging a raft for any long distances sucks ass. Our POS raft got a huge tear (unpatchable) at encampment about two drops into damnation, in the line, and we had to carry it out past the rest of the IV's. I don't know how far we walked but we weren't making good time and we wouldn't have gotten out of the canyon before dark. We eventually decided to put back on with a floor full of water. It took everything we had to turn the SOB and we bruised our feet up on every rock in that river. If you haven't been in a self bailer with a torn floor it sucks. It does not just turn into a non bailer as one might assume and we were sitting in a bathtub within seconds. My main point is that there is no easy way to carry a raft over long distances in tight spaces like a trail or between trees. We worked on a system carrying it between logs on our shoulders and all sorts of stuff but I wouldn't go into a raft trip thinking technical portage for more than 1.5 miles, it sucks.

Otherwise poudre narrows offers some good creek rafting possibilities. I would say middle is good above 2.5 the more the better, green bridge was super bony/tricky at 2.6. Lower would be better closer to 3 because that new rock at the top makes for a rediculously tough raft move and you don't want to swim at the top of that rapid. When lower gets much more than 3 though it would be tough to make it though the moves right below the top. We survived lower somehow but it was sketchy as all hell. Upper has been done and I've seen the pictures but whiteline at anylevel would be burly in a raft.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #16
oh yeah
buy a shredder. they're 50#, easy to inflate/deflete, and can be deflated, rolled up and worn like a small backpack for the portages. tom love, the man behind the shredders ran the black canyon a while back and said it was a good trip. he said he got some beta at the put-in and ran it mostly 1st descent style. i'll follow 'yall in my kayak if you go.

danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #17
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
yes there is a mile long portage. doesn't anyone like to suffer anymore?
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #18
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Mania, that's true suffering you're asking for. . .that is a long portage and there's more than just one. But if you're set on doing it, definitely plan on running the gunny gorge, too, or else it's up, up, upchukar and you'll be hollerin' for a buick.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #19
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
Hey Shizzle, what was that takeout trail you took when you ran black canyon? LOL anyways, don't take that one for sure. I think it was "high point" or something.

I know it's probobly lame, but I have always wanted to raft bailey. Mania, I think you should run the embudo in a raft. I think with the right crew and the right level pretty much everything could be run.
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #20
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Warner Pt. trail. . .takes you to "High point". Highly NOT recommended. Do I get man-points though for not taking a map nor asking for directions?

Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote