Old 03-26-2009   #11
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
nice post Chip,

It looks so easy I might have to make one just cause I can.

Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #12
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
I've built a couple and use them at the front or rear of my regular frame, with 1-ft. straps around the frame tubing and longer straps to the dees on the cat tubes, inside and out.

Both of mine are sized so the York Packs (yellow dryboxes) drop in. If you suspend a heavy cooler, make the fit snug so the weight doesn't flex the tubing. Strapped in, the cooler is part of the structure.

I also built a ply deckboard that straps on for more passenger & dog space on day trips.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #13
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by brendodendo View Post
Has anyone ever used a rigid frame for a cooler in a paddle raft? I have a soft cooler that I use for day trips and just got the NRS Saddle Bag for the old B-day.

When I take the boat for an overnighter, sometimes it is more fun to paddle raft. That said, I was thinking of some custom cut NRS Pipe for the side and cross bars. Add the Low Pro fittings and some rubber stoppers and I could use my regular frame cooler mounts. This would fit between two of the thwarts and give me additional places to lash other gear. Total cost without shipping would be about $80.

Any other cheaper Ideas? Modifications?
my friend made a frame using lowpros. got the 6061-t6 pipe at Alaskan Copper and Brass about $2/foot but not anodized. Trick was drilling the lowpros accurately. A new 60t carbide blade on a miter saw (use clamp and eye protection) cuts through the pipe like butter.

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote