Cooler for the oarsman seat - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-06-2017   #1

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Cooler for the oarsman seat

Need some advice from the buzzards out there. Im going with an engel 65 as a seat for the oarsman. Ive got just a basic NRS fishing frame. Ive added a second cross bar to wedge the cooler in between but my question is drop bag or cooler straps? Wondering about the side to side movement of the cooler? I know ive seen threads on this exact subject just couldnt find them. Any advice would be fantastic! thanks

BEAVER BELIEVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2017   #2

If you can afford it, get a drop bag, preferably custom made to your specifications. It will be so much easier and less of a hassle to use, and is more versatile if you change your setup later cause it can hold other stuff. It's worth the extra money.
protechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017   #3

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Agree with protechie, have an 18' cat, use of drop bags gives you options.
Old 01-07-2017   #4
Custom Whitewater Equipme

Central Point, Oregon
I have not laid hands on an Engle yet so I'd suggest you get the cooler first and see if there is a lip big enough to rest on the cross bars. If so you don't need anything under it. To deal with side to side movment strap the handles to the the frame members that parallel your tubes. If there is a strap slot near the handles that is even better. I use a couple of different brand coolers that have both the lip that sits ont he frame and strap slots. Feel free to contact me if you want more info.

Keep doing your snow dance!!!
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017   #5

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
You can run a long loop strap around the entire cooler to keep side to side movement in check if you don't want to use a drop bag.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017   #6

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
If you order a custom drop bag, make sure to take your depth measurements on the water. I made the mistake of measuring for mine on the trailer, and it's about 1" too deep and rides on the floor of my raft. Not a huge deal since I use it for random shit storage, but I'd have been pissed if I ordered it for a cooler and ended up with my cooler riding on the floor.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017   #7

C. Springs, Colorado
I like using trucker straps and pop rivets with washers, for permanent cooler and dry box straps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	raft frame 009.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	13401   Click image for larger version

Name:	raft frame 012.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	841.7 KB
ID:	13409  

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017   #8

Commerce/the Junc, Colorado
I was taught to row off the cooler.

My current seat is an 80qt Engel with a JPW Paco dog bed, it sits in a River Boat Works drop bag. Easy to throw it in and if necessary strap it to the frame with a couple cam straps.

13' RMR with a River Boat Works frame.
SigNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017   #9

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I use cam straps to support my engel. You can adjust height better with cams over the drop bag. If you rest cooler on frame rails, opening/closing of latches is hindered. I primarily sit atop drybox, but if necessary row from cooler in the opposite bay from drybox.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017   #10

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I like the river/trucker strap idea Dan! I may have to have a look at that for my rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote