Old 12-11-2012   #21
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
hey guys I am looking to join a trip. I don't have a groover or anything like that but I have this sweet 9 mil. Group poaching your camp? not anymore. Ravens stealing your chips? Raven stew for dinner. Park Ranger hassling you? please bitch.

in all seriousness I can see bringing a firearm on an Alaska trip (something big) but otherwise you are just asking for trouble.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #22
Paddling Since: 96
I'd be much more concerned about someone carrying in a partying boaters' camp than lions and bears.

Paddle the Grand on its terms...

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #23
C. Springs, Colorado
The point of CCW is to NOT let anyone know you have it. If you can NOT keep a secret and be sly and stealthy......CCW is NOT for you.

The only reason I could see for bringing a gun along would be to shoot food during a Winter trip if something happened to my month long food supply. In other words...survival. My weapon of choice would be a 22 rifle. I don't raft in the it at home......or keep the secret....a secret.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #24
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
I wasn't aware that concealed carry was now legal in National Parks.
Open carry is now legal (as of late 2011) in National Parks.
Obama signed this into law when it was attached to a consumer credit protection bill. That's how it became legal.

Now, for my interpretation.... <Rant> I find it stupidly self serving that the right wing nut jobs like to point fingers at the Obama administration as being anti-second amendment while conveniently ignoring that he signed this into law. </Rant>
On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #25
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
But what if you came upon Kevin Bacon and he held you at gunpoint to take him down the river and run the Gauntlet? Unless you're Meryl Streep, you better have a gun.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #26
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Apparently nobody has ever seen Walker Texas Ranger "Whitewater", The River Wild, Damned River, White Water Summer, Deliverance, The African Queen, or River of no Return. Each of these films make it clear that any boatman should be armed to avoid robbery, hijacking of the boats, and rape. If you want robbed, hijacked, and raped leave the gun at home.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #27
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Dave, why were thinking about bringing one?

As the owner of 2 pistols, 2 rifles and 2 shotguns, I don't understand why you would bring one there. I got off my 1st. GC trip in Oct. and cannot imagine any reason for any firearm, concealed or open. I've scared bears off my property and out of my car many times, and only used pots and pans. If your thinking about shooting anything in the park, it better be for a life threatening reason, otherwise you will have some serious laws piling up against you. I love shooting, and have a couple conceal holsters but it sounds idiotic to bring one down there. Are you going to carry it while your boating? I can only imagine how pissed you would be if you fell in while carrying.

Am I missing something?
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #28
Good troll post. I would like to hear how people can rationalize the benefit of a gun on a river trip. I've heard someone say "I'm afraid of the dark". Anything else?
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #29
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Originally Posted by basil View Post
Good troll post.
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #30
columbus, Ohio
Paddling Since: 1998
i do have my CC for Ohio and it does reciprocate to AZ. the only reason i ask is to determine whether there an actual compelling reason to bring it. thats why i asked. my original intention was to leave it home. im not thinking much differently at this point i was just curious as to what the masses think. its my first trip down (feb) so im unfamiliar with wildlife situations which would be the biggest reason to bring one.
to answer your last question i would never actually wear a gun while in a raft or kayak. whats the point of that?
thanks for all the responses folks i am enjoying reading all of them while i should be working.......

Daggerdave is offline   Reply With Quote