Old 12-17-2012   #91
Not looking to offend...

Don't see my comment as offensive or in a place that would offend someone close to the Newton incident, but not another word from here out. My apologies to you, Phil.

stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #92
columbus, Ohio
Paddling Since: 1998
thanks for all the replies folks. i do appreciate the insight. funny or otherwise.

Daggerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012   #93
Wheeler, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
I have only been down the ditch twice, but I see absolutely no reason to bring a gun. I own guns. I hunt. I have also spent 10+ years as a field biologist in several western states, including alaska. Something in your thought process changes when carrying a firearm. It makes you think it's OK to be sloppy when going into a place/situation that your instincts tell you "wait a minute". In my opinion, it's an invitation to have a simple pickle escalate to an "oh shit" moment.
If you are going to carry anyway, upgrade to a dory like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121222_143032.png
Views:	211
Size:	460.3 KB
ID:	5426

boogercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #94
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Put gun in drybag. Put drybag in tent. Good to go. If your rolling with your pc hippie friends they'll never know. Unless your hippie friends are sleeping in your tent. But seriously be safe and responsible.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #95
steamboat springs, Colorado
Originally Posted by spider View Post
Put gun in drybag. Put drybag in tent. Good to go. If your rolling with your pc hippie friends they'll never know.
And if you're rowing with your paranoid and delusional friends who think that carrying a gun in the "wild" Grand Canyon will protect them against non-existent threats, then they'll have guns in the drybags in their tents too, and maybe, when a gust of wind blows through camp and knocks the percolator off the camp table, you can all come barging out of your wall tents, gun blazing, looking for rabid ringtails or seriously lost Grizzly Bears and remind yourselves how truly ridiculous it is to carry a gun in the Grand Canyon. This ain't Alaska folks.

If you spend two weeks a year camping, sure, bring your firearm, it might make you feel better about those dark nights all alone in your scary campsite. But most folks who do this as a living, or as a dedicated lifestyle, and not as a vacation, know the only time you need a gun outside Grizzly country is when you're hunting. (Or shooting road signs...guns are pretty important for that too).
3d3vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #96
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Yeah I wouldn't bring one down the grand either. Not untill I read a few more " me and my friends were attacked by vicious bears r.i.p. so and so" threads, but I haven't read one of those yet. I lost all my guns in a boating accident anyway.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #97
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
I carry a lucky charm, sounds stupid I know. But it even needs help sometimes or vice versa, it may be in the form of a AED. ( where only 5 to 10 percent survive a heart attack that I had), firearm etc. But just be glad it was available. I do not show my lucky charm off or my firearm.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #98
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2008
I have not floated down the canyon, but over the years have backpacked there 20 times or so. Until my last trip in October, there have never been any "weird" encounters. On that trip, someone came into our campsite at Cottonwood Campground during the early morning(1-2am) hours and spent several minutes wandering around. I heard the noise(bootsteps)outside our tent, but thought that it was someone in our group and did not react. The next morning, when I asked who had gotten up, the other members of the group said that they had heard the noise also, but thought that it was someone else in the group and they also did not respond. Nothing seemed to be missing or disturbed. I still wonder what occurred......and what would have happened if someone would have stuck their head outside their tent.
Toysx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #99
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
On a Lower Canyons trip below Big Bend a few years ago, a woman who was packing a revolver dropped the Watershed bag it was in and the gun discharged in the direction of a couple of peeps. No one was hurt.

I can understand her wanting to pack on that river--narcos, coyotes, etc., but the penalty for having one in Mexico (we camped every night in Mexico) is severe, perhaps for the entire group who had no idea she was carrying. She had no business putting us at risk because of her fear and lack of gun safety knowledge.

The only rivers that I could see that having a firearm is justified--are in Alaska and Canada. It's not that easy to get one up there legally, and impossible to bring in a handgun to Canada. Our group had a 12 gauge on a Chitna trip on e time, but we never needed it. On the Tatshenshini/Alsek it was illegal to have a firearm, so we always brought near spray, fog horns and bear bangers.

I'm sure there's plenty of fucking rednecks that pack on the many 'dangerous' rivers that we all float.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #100
Pingree, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
I'm assuming that, if you are looking to CC, it's not going to be the sort of weapn/caliber to eliminate the threat posed by a bear or other large predatory animal. Those don't ted to conceal very well.

Personally, a carry most of the time when I'm off the river (where it's allowed), but I have honestly never chose to carry on the rivers. Maybe because, in all my years of boating and hiking, I've discovered that you tend to run into mostly "like-minded" people in the back country. Let's face it. It takes quite a bit of effort to get to these places, and (for the most part), douche bags just don't tend to care to make that sort of effort.

That being said...CC is a very personal choice. We all have to decide where it falls within our own comfort zone. The perceived threat on a river is obviously quite low, but so was the perceived threat in most of the places we've been seeing in the news lately. I say carry if you are of a mind to.

wildraft1 is offline   Reply With Quote