Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 08-22-2014   #11
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Originally Posted by newbieraftingquestion View Post
What can I expect this weekend? I looked into things and it says the Royal Gorge is at 500cfs. Honestly, what are we in for? Being from Denver and not seeing the river very often, I picture very fast moving water, lots of rapids and holes ready to pull the raft in. So, any realistic help would be so very appreciated.
You can always request a senior guide. That might put you more at ease.
Remember to have fun!

briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #12
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I can't believe no one's enlightened our visitor about the esteemed tradition of the Bootie Beer after a swim.

Or, if you're on a guided trip, should the guide be the one that has to drink it?

newbieraftingquestion - The water level on the Arkansas is going to be pretty low and you'll spend a lot of time bumping off rocks. When my raft was brand spanking new I let a buddy talk me into running the Gorge at about the level it's at right now. The good thing is that I never winced again after that trip when I slammed into a big rock or scraped over boulders.

Another alternative would be to drive out to Glenwood Canyon, run the Shoshone to Grizzley Creek section of the Colorado, which is rocking Class III for about 30 45 minutes at 1,700 cfs, then stay on the river and enjoy the 2- or 3-hour scenic Class I and II float from Grizzley Creek down to Glenwood Springs where you can finish the day with a soak in the hot springs.

If you just want a mellow float, you could also rent a raft in Glenwood and then run the Grizzley Creek to Glenwood section on your own - it's a classic novice run and probably cheaper than what you'd spend for the group on a guided trip. You can either hitch or get a cab for the shuttles along that stretch and float stretches of novice whitewater all the way to Rifle.

I think some of the outfitters do laps on Shoshone too.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote