Old 04-22-2015   #1
Pieter Porcupine
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Colorado River: Parshall to Kremmling

Does anyone know if this float is possible, or anything between the downstream side of Byers canyon and the upstream side of Gore Canyon? All I can seem to find for access are BLM fishing areas, does anyone know if these have boat ramps?

BLM Colorado | Kremmling Field Office | Fishing

I understand that there is not much going on in this stretch for rapids, I am just looking to get some river time and possibly see some wildlife.

Fyi, I have a 12'6" bucketboat and an aluminum frame.

Thanks in advance.

The larger the river of knowledge the longer the shoreline of wonder.
MountainmanPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
from what i remember that is considered "non-navigable" river. When I asked BLM about it one person told me, "you might need to bring some wire cutters" and then proceeded to say that all that land is private, so touching or cutting the wire is illegal. As far as I know there isn't any access to put in and take out a boat which is the other problem of avoiding the private land. I could be wrong but that what I remember from when I looked into it. Not every state has great water laws like MT.

theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #3
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
there are no ramps. Basically if not completely private, other than the few fishing accesses that are not boat friendly. There is often very little water flowing and the blue and muddy rivers make everything from gore down floatable.

This stretch I believe may have been the epicenter of a huge private property vs floater conflict way back.
melted_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #4
Pieter Porcupine
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985

Wow, this is good info to know. Thanks.
The larger the river of knowledge the longer the shoreline of wonder.
MountainmanPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #5
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Second the wire cutters, full on barbed wire fences stretched across the river and into the water, they're are some prize cattle growing near there that I'm sure are well protected by armed ranch hands who would be pissed to see you floating thru lol.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015   #6
silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
This section is the subject of much litigation in the Colorado judicial system thanks to the ranchers that made the section "unnavigable" by running barbed wire across the river. And they have the local cops on speed dial if you decide to challenge them by floating on the peoples water.
bluebtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #7
There is better floating down stream. I know of no one here in Summitt County that floats that section either guides or private. It was the first big boater vs landowner case to go to court Emert vs ?. The story is in Fletcher Anderson's Book if anyone has a copy laying around. Not one to tell someone to shy away from landowners but there is a lot of better boating just down stream. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #8
It has been attempted recently with moderate levels of success. We've got a new sheriff in Grand County. You could call him and ask what he knows about the right to float. What I will say is that it is completely navigable excepting the man made diversion structures installed by the landowners. Some of these ranches have guides fishing so that will be part of the resistance.

Sheriff's Office
670 Spring St.
P.O. Box 48
Hot Sulphur Springs, CO 80451

Brett Schroetlin
Jamie D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #9
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Good info! I've been eyeing this stretch for several years little 1 man Watermaster. I know there are some BIG fish in that stretch. Great dry fly water- years back there was a highly regarded trout lodge on the south bank called Elktrout. I would love some beta on the barbed wire situation.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015   #10
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
People vs Emmert (1979) is the case, and since at one point they stepped on the riverbed in a privately owned section, it is not a clear statement on the law.

There are some AG and Exec Director of Natural Resources issued opinions, but they also are not the final word on the issue. Basically, until a court issues a direct ruling, things will remain fuzzy. The problem is, once the supreme court has spoken, it's over. And no one, including American Whitewater, is totally confident in that final result, which is why they have been working on this incrementally.

I suggest touching base with American Whitewater before you do this. This is very much like the Sportmen's Paradise

Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote

colorado river