Old 04-26-2014   #11
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by farmer View Post
It looks like you live in Vail, so generally people around here avoid driving to the front range to raft as its substantially better in the eagle and or ark valley. Dowd chute at 2-4 feet is pretty fun r2, but solid class four for about 1/3 mile or so. Everything on the Eagle below that is super fun with various amounts of class 3 - maybe a 4 here or there depending on flows. The ark is running is the super classic rafting with anything from class 2 floats to solid class 4 day trips.

Relocated to the golden area now…would love to get to the ark soon but the drive is getting us. we ran the portion below the tunnel one today it was a great little in town run water level was not bad either. ALso met some great people so all in all a great afternoon river day with an easy shuttle.

gobigohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #12
While everything stated above is true with regards to rocks, portages, and the like, R2ing lower clear creek in a smaller raft is a pretty damn good time. Give it a little more flow to pad things out, maybe 400-500, and it's a great level to learn the creek in your raft. Scout the critical areas - elbow falls, screaming 1/4 mile, and the diversion damn - and you should be good. It's all class III with those features layered in to give you a taste of class IV. Don't wait too long the lower flows are prime for learning the lines. Once it gets over 650-750, the creek takes on a different nature and becomes a little more pushy. I R2'd it at about 900 a few years back and, well, giddy-up. To be fair, my partner an I know the lines in there extremely well, as it is the backyard ditch.

Welcome to Golden.

twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #13
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
I have rafted every section of clear creek from 6 pipes down.

For after work runs I prefer the lower or when I actually boated a lot the black rock section.

The lower is a great section in a smaller raft. The put in is at the bridge below rigor, as stated prior road scout screaming 1/4 mile and elbow falls on the way up. I have never ran the old diversion dam as I do not like rebar. Know where to take out to portage the dam, carry on river left on the trail, careful on this as the winds like to blow and you have to carry over your head.

As Twitch said it is a great run at 500-600 and turns into a completely different run at 900, still fun but be in your A+ game.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #14
Golden, Colorado
Great advice everybody would love to run it one these days and see the lines. If anyone is going and would be whilling to show some lines... I will buy beer after
Ski It, Raft It, Drink It
Loveland, Clear Creek, Coors
gobigohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #15
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Originally Posted by gobigohome View Post
Great advice everybody would love to run it one these days and see the lines. If anyone is going and would be whilling to show some lines... I will buy beer after
Well how did it go? Were you able to pull it off with your wife? I try to stay away from anything that could take a lot of man power with my gf so she doesnt hate me.

Haggardphunk is offline   Reply With Quote