Cataraft Videos? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-03-2015   #21

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Hey Slickhorn;
Nice vid, looks really fun. Still confused when you say 40" frame width but 32" tube to tube. What is oar lock to oar lock width? I played around with my NRS frame and drop bars, but only went to 64" width at the side rails, and 36" tube to tube for my 13' x 23" tubes. Geometry..

markinsteamboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2015   #22

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Lochsa is only a shit shot memorial weekend. The rest of the time it is like a small community. Mid may is wonderful.
definitely need to visit! only seen low july flows.

i thought camas creek looked pretty fun, for the really nutso cat boat descent, I nominate Sheep Creek. Logs are fine if ya can hike to look for 'em or walk around 'em, look at that committment level! how can you mitigate that?

photo gallery - Category: Sheep Creek - Image: Sheep Creek_15

photo gallery - Category: Sheep Creek - Image: Sheep Creek_10

album: photo gallery - Category: Sheep Creek
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015   #23

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by markinsteamboat View Post
Hey Slickhorn;
Nice vid, looks really fun. Still confused when you say 40" frame width but 32" tube to tube. What is oar lock to oar lock width? I played around with my NRS frame and drop bars, but only went to 64" width at the side rails, and 36" tube to tube for my 13' x 23" tubes. Geometry..
I was referencing a couple of different frames.... sorry for the confusion

frame #1, shown in video is an NRS frame, 36" tube to tube.

I started it at 40" tube to tube because that was the stock spec for some frames I was looking at buying. rowed horribly so slowly worked down to a 32" tube to tube width. That puts my oarlocks 67" apart on the cat, a 12.5' legend with 22.5" tubes.

On my 14' raft, which has a constant unchanging 40" tube to tube width, the oar towers are 66" apart. My explanation for this is cat frames extend farther outboard on the tube than do raft frames, to control tubes rolling, a non issue for raft tubes.

Once I settled at 32", I retired the NRS and had Nissen weld up one of his pieces of art. with a bow packing bar so I can trim my gear load without affecting tube rocker.

sry to thread jack!
Old 09-03-2015   #24

Seattle, Washington
let's get back to the video action. It's so dry up here in WA, all I've been dreaming about is 16 miles of surf on the Green. Pray for rain!

Another rainy season scenic jewel up here is the III-IV Tilton River.

Old 09-03-2015   #25

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdannel View Post
You can check out my collection: https://www.youtube.com/jmcdannel

Thanks Bro - I actually subscribed to your channel a few months back - nice videos!!!

Here is my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc2...llWgUu6xlSw9xA

You can kinda see my evolution a bit to where I am now - a Class 3+ to maybe some 4- boater.
Old 09-03-2015   #26

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
I like to watch Shelly Becker's DVD's when I am on the rowing machine. Send me your address and I will burn and mail the two that are free. -L
Thanks - I will message you my address - so you say they are "free" - are there any that you can pay for?

I did buy both of Cramers DVD's a while back which I put on the tv to watch or sometimes just for ambiance when I'm doing something around the house. I wish he'd put together some video of some of his NF Payette and other Idaho area rivers antics. http://markcramerriverrat.com - come to think of it - I'm gonna bug him about that right now!! lol
Old 09-03-2015   #27

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickhorn View Post
That is the Cascade River in WA state. One of our late summer gems. That opening sequence is one of my fav rapids I've ever rowed. 4 minute drop!!

That frame was an nrs frame with drop bars, I was still experimenting, this was 36" width I think. I settled with a 32" internal width frame. The tubes are stock legend 12.5' x 22.5" and to give you an idea of geometry, the oar towers are 1" wider on the 32" wide frame compared to the rowing frame on my 14' raft, which has 40" internal width.

I've rowed those legend tubes with a 40" frame and it is, IMO, gawdawful. 32" sounds narrow, but really, you're just allowing for the huge tube diameter.

I did get pro loks, have yet to pop an oar in them in 18 mos, and just ordered a second set to rig with my squaretops, as I am apparently doing my patriotic economic stimulation all at once this summer!!

love pro loks, local WA business, great engineering, I recommend to any one who'll listen!
I've seen some of your videos before - I enjoyed the Cascade one you posted (may be the same one) but the one with some music and captions. I seem to recall seeing another Cascade river one of a person on a boogie board and it may have been on the same day you guys were running it? They were coming through the same stuff you were coming through lol (correct me if I'm wrong?)

EDIT: May be wrong - here is the video I believe I watched:
Old 09-03-2015   #28

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeyFitter View Post
I've seen some of your videos before - I enjoyed the Cascade one you posted (may be the same one) but the one with some music and captions. I seem to recall seeing another Cascade river one of a guy on a boogie board and it may have been on the same day you guys were running it? And he was coming through the same stuff you were coming through lol (correct me if I'm wrong?)

EDIT: May be wrong - here is the video I believe I watched:
That guy is a chick and she was on a river board. She showed up the night before and I told her she was crazy, don't even try it. She did great. Still can't decide if she's really good or really lucky.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015   #29

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeyFitter View Post
Thanks Bro - I actually subscribed to your channel a few months back - nice videos!!!

Here is my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc2...llWgUu6xlSw9xA

You can kinda see my evolution a bit to where I am now - a Class 3+ to maybe some 4- boater.
great stuff! man, I've only paddled in BC -- gotta get up there to row sometime!
Old 09-04-2015   #30

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
That guy is a chick and she was on a river board. She showed up the night before and I told her she was crazy, don't even try it. She did great. Still can't decide if she's really good or really lucky.
Rochelle is really good. Her backyard run is a steep IV-V creek, and she's been tearing it up for years and years.

Cascade was no biggie, and she styled everything.

Makes me wonder why I worry so much about swimming!

Tags
cataraft