Cataraft Videos? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-02-2015   #11

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdannel View Post
You can check out my collection: https://www.youtube.com/jmcdannel
Watched your Lochsa Madness 2014 video. Nice soundtrack. Also, that's a monster freakin tree floating along at 6:47!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BigAssLog.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	10489  

Advertisement

Old 09-02-2015   #12

Minden, Nevada
Paddling Since: 1961
I am making reference to jmMcDaniel's post, especially the Lochsa R. Camas Cr. might actually be more dangerous with all of the strainers. I don't like the Dutch courage people get from drinking and the peer pressure of large crowds. Then you always have someone that gets pressured into running things they are not ready for so they don't get called a pussy.

I have been around rivers for a long time. I have seen some bad stuff happen. Now I am 65 and don't do anything difficult. If I can wake someone up and get them to be a little more careful, it is worth taking the heat for it. There are plenty of people I have paddled with once, because they are not safe.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015   #13

Seattle, Washington
Always wanted to run the lochsa at high water... but, I gotta admit, that shit show vibe is why I haven't made the drive.

still, whitewater without bravado? sounds boring!!
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2015   #14

boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
Since you are obviously such an expert on the matter and so much in the know, please tell me more about how this relates to the Camas Creek video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
I am making reference to jmMcDaniel's post, especially the Lochsa R. Camas Cr. might actually be more dangerous with all of the strainers. I don't like the Dutch courage people get from drinking and the peer pressure of large crowds. Then you always have someone that gets pressured into running things they are not ready for so they don't get called a pussy.

I have been around rivers for a long time. I have seen some bad stuff happen. Now I am 65 and don't do anything difficult. If I can wake someone up and get them to be a little more careful, it is worth taking the heat for it. There are plenty of people I have paddled with once, because they are not safe.
boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015   #15

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Here we go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	homer-eating-popcorn-meme-generator-shits-about-to-get-real-edf968.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	10490  
Katboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015   #16

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickhorn View Post
Always wanted to run the lochsa at high water... but, I gotta admit, that shit show vibe is why I haven't made the drive.
Lochsa is only a shit shot memorial weekend. The rest of the time it is like a small community. Mid may is wonderful.

I haven't had a chance to watch your entire Cascade vid, but man I need to get on that next year!
Old 09-02-2015   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickhorn View Post
the trip that convinced me to get pro loks

Slickhorn, what river is this video? how wide is your frame? and did you get pro loks?

Thanks, Rich
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015   #18

Park City, Utah
Here is one run of the many I was peer pressured into...

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_i...referrer=watch
Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015   #19

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Slickhorn, what river is this video? how wide is your frame? and did you get pro loks?

Thanks, Rich
That is the Cascade River in WA state. One of our late summer gems. That opening sequence is one of my fav rapids I've ever rowed. 4 minute drop!!

That frame was an nrs frame with drop bars, I was still experimenting, this was 36" width I think. I settled with a 32" internal width frame. The tubes are stock legend 12.5' x 22.5" and to give you an idea of geometry, the oar towers are 1" wider on the 32" wide frame compared to the rowing frame on my 14' raft, which has 40" internal width.

I've rowed those legend tubes with a 40" frame and it is, IMO, gawdawful. 32" sounds narrow, but really, you're just allowing for the huge tube diameter.

I did get pro loks, have yet to pop an oar in them in 18 mos, and just ordered a second set to rig with my squaretops, as I am apparently doing my patriotic economic stimulation all at once this summer!!

love pro loks, local WA business, great engineering, I recommend to any one who'll listen!
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015   #20

Minden, Nevada
Paddling Since: 1961
I like Boicatr's Cherry Creek video. It is difficult whitewater but it is clean without a lot of logs and woody debris. His cat is unladen and very buoyant in the water. He shows some good rowing technique.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataraft