Old 10-01-2013   #1
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
Cataraft Books/Resources?

I've got one book by Neele Streeks called "Float Fishing Strategies" (Found at this link as an example: Float Fishing Strategies - Streeks). It had one chapter on River hazards/avoidance and I felt it did a pretty good job of introducing myself to and outlining river hazards and some tips on how to drift through them, what to carry, things to consider, etc. It's geared more towards the drift boat or raft fisherman where you would have 1 rower who would be rowing 1 or 2 fly fisherman and as he or she rows down river they maneuver the boat so they anglers have the best casting locations relative to fish locations. So some of the book is very oriented towards tips in this regard, which doesn't interest me as much, right now anyways.

I'm wondering if there are any good books you guys can recommend that go more in depth into river hazard avoidance, white water stuff,perhaps divulge into rescue strategies, safety gear, repair stuff, etc. I thoroughly enjoy this discussion board and consider it an excellent resource along the same lines, but I don't mind sitting back and reading some of the fine print every now and then instead of staring at a computer screen too. Also, I fully recognize that theory and print stuff is no substitute for on the water experience and expertise but I'll read anything anyone has to say on the subject and take what I think is worthy to utilize for myself, and offer my experience, as a I gain more, to others, if I feel it is worthy.

SpeyCatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #2
Searching for water....., Nevada
If you want to know more and be a safer boater, sign up for a swiftwater rescue course. It will give you the basics and introduce you to some great people.

I dont know of any books, sorry.

Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Charlie Walbridge whitewater safety, risk management and swiftwater rescue

Charlie is a living legend and literally wrote the book on swift water safety and rescue. This website, which I didn't know existed has some good links to the aca and other resources.

Nothing on cats
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #4
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I found this book helpful when I was starting out......The Complete Whitewater Rafter by Jeff Bennett
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote