Carlisle Oars New compared to Old Style - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-05-2016   #1

Margate, New Jersey
Carlisle Oars New compared to Old Style

Hi everyone. I've just found this forum and am looking for a little info. Here on the East Coast in south jersey we use 9' carlisle oars for Beach Patrol Lifeguard Boat rowing. Sorry if this isn't allowed but I am just looking for some information on the carlisle oars. They made a older style from what I understand to be the best. They were 9' with the plastic covering and very strong for the rowing we do.
Now all the beach patrol can buy is the new economy style that are just aluminum and they are very weak, the oar and blades bend very easy. From what i found online is you can buy the carlisle heavy duty shafts that have the plastic covering on them. Then you can also buy blades for them. How do these hold up compared to the older style I'm talking about or are they the same.
Does anyone have any info on these. They come to about 350$ which i will pay if they are what I think they are.
Thank You for the help!
Hunter

hp609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2016   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hello, welcome to the Buzz!
I don't think there has been a change in Carlisle oars as far as I know, you can still buy the aluminum with plastic sleeve style you have been using. The economy style that you don't want, is the other design they make.
One source for both, would be North West River supplies out of Moscow Idaho, just google nrs.
You can often find some good deals on used oars on this site under rafting/accessories,
( tab at top of page).
Plenty of higher quality brands out there to, like Cataract, just depends on how much your willing to spend!
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #3

north little rock, Arkansas
This is the one you're looking for I believe. EX HD Oar Shaft 8' - Blue | Carlisle Paddle Gear
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp609 View Post
Hi everyone. I've just found this forum and am looking for a little info. Here on the East Coast in south jersey we use 9' carlisle oars for Beach Patrol Lifeguard Boat rowing. Sorry if this isn't allowed but I am just looking for some information on the carlisle oars.
Hunter
Yea, we'll let ya slide this time, but usually we don't allow questions from folks whose water doesn't have at least class III rapids in them. Especially if your from the East Coast

Of course your welcome here.

The flexi, less expensive shafts and blades are for very small personal water craft like solo fishing rigs and pool toys. They actually do a very good job for that type of water craft. The HDs are what you have and what your looking for. They are the ones Incoop gave you the link to.

Fiber shafts like Sawyer and Cataract and Lamiglass are nice but I wonder if they would have problems in the salt water.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Here on the East Coast in south jersey we use 9' carlisle oars for Beach Patrol Lifeguard Boat rowing. Sorry if this isn't allowed but I am just looking for some information on the carlisle oars.
Then you can also buy blades for them. How do these hold up compared to the older style I'm talking about or are they the same.
Does anyone have any info on these. They come to about 350$ which i will pay if they are what I think they are.
Thank You for the help!
Hunter
If you're pulling on those oars in heavy surf, I think we can give you an honorary status as a whitewater boater!

Personally I use Cataract oars with Carlisle blades. I think most folks on the Buzz can attest to the durability of either brands' blades and shafts. I prefer the Cataract shafts to Carlisle as they're lighter and I've seen Carlisles fold up running into a wall before (in the middle of a rapid). I have the Carlisle blades due to cost. As the Carlisle is made with aluminum, this may oxidize in the salt environment. You may want to check out the full line of Cataract oars and blades - you should already have a good idea how fiberglass holds up in the salty environment. Sawyer is a good oar also and is proven in whitewater.

Good luck getting outfitted!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016   #6

Margate, New Jersey
Thanks for all the info so far! These oars are used to pull heavy fiberglass surf boats out into the ocean and surf them back in on the waves by steering with the oar. I saw some of those fiberglass oars but oars get banged around in the boat(wood/fiberglass) so i prefer the aluminum and plastic for durability.
I do have a set of aluminum shafts and wood blades but they just don't last long enough for the price they are made at.

As you all know salt water kills everything but just washing with freshwater is enough to prevent heavy oxidation. Most of the guys I know actually break the plastic shell off the oar so the salt water isn't trapped behind the plastic shelling and corrodes the aluminum. I found online the shafts and blades come to about 350$ which I can do since the shafts last a long time as I've seen from friends who own the carlisle oars. The problem is they are so sought after around here from everyone on different beach patrols is they are impossible to find new.

Again thanks for all the help so far,, those HD shafts were exactly what I was looking for
hp609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016   #7

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
You should look into signing up with a pro-form website like Promotive. They have the Carlisle oars(and many other items) on there at a discount to those in different service industries. I would assume you could fit in the Fire&Rescue team, Search&Rescue, or maybe EMS. Check it out. Could save you some $. Example screenshot included.

Promotive.com - Teams
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Promotive OAR.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	11907  
Old 07-06-2016   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Thanks for all the info so far! These oars are used to pull heavy fiberglass surf boats out into the ocean and surf them back in on the waves by steering with the oar.
Video, we need to see video of this! It sounds super fun!
Old 07-06-2016   #9

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Video, we need to see video of this! It sounds super fun!
Yea I was just trying to imagine this myself. HP609 what is the purpose for all of this. If I'm out playing around in the water and I get in trouble with a leg cramp or something and start to signal for help I'm going to get fairly discouraged when I see a lifeguard pull a row boat into the water to come help. Especially if I'm out a ways.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016   #10

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
If it's anything like this I'd love to try it.

https://youtu.be/hsuIs5VlIJE

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carlisle