Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 12-26-2013   #11
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
We need some details man. Cough them up.

As far as being tired after 5 days. That is usually about when I hit my stride or stroke as it were. My Grand trip was 21 days and I didn't want to stop. It seemed like the group was working like a well oiled machine after about 10 days and it got easier. Also you become conditioned to it physically. Some people from my trip were sooooo ready for civilization - I couldn't have cared less. I was used to bucket baths and a fine layer of dirt on everything. It was awesome. Also if that was your first thought then I would trust your intuition.

Also he would likely be a passenger and while the trip can be demanding if not used to camping, it is much easier as a passenger than a boatman. Not sure what your role was on the 5 day trip you describe but as a passenger naps are more possible and you just don't have the mental and physical pressure to perform.

There is a really funny guide to preparing for the Grand but I can't find it right now. Will keep looking.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #12
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Him having some days when he can sit on other people's boats might be a good thing. Then you sit at camp with a beer and swap stories of the day.

David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Best time with my brother...

It was Memorial Day weekend a couple of years ago. Heading to the Yampa River, 20k+ flows, rain and snow predicted. He shows up from South Carolina with T-shirts (cotton) and shorts only. We had enough gear to outfit him correctly. All those things that make one nervous were happening...leaving gear bags and dry boxes open to the elements, not drying wet gear, fussy diet, etc. We got rain and snow and cold (hands down the worst weather on any trip I've ever been on) and the guy had the time of his life. He was a boating, hiking, camping mad man.

So the things I remember (we are both 40+):
- Making him wear my old spandex pants. Paybacks for sure. (Started the trip with this for the blackmail picture.)
- Buying a ton of cold meat and cereal so he wouldn't starve if he didn't like the river menu. When we hit the take out, he hadn't touched any of it. He tried everything.
- Running up and down the mountains. He came back once with this sheepish look and told me he had tripped and had fallen in the cactus, could I pull the thorns out of his leg and butt.
- Coldest weather ever and not one complaint...not one. Just a big grin.
- He drank all my beer first (Tecate)...and left me the Bud Light.
- Waking me up in the middle of the night to borrow my toothbrush because he couldn't find his. I did find his the next morning in the groover lid....in a zip lock...but still.
- At the takeout, declaring to everyone that the next trip he was going to row his own boat.

Now he's asking if we've got permits for next summer yet and how old do the kids need to be to go...watch out, you may unleash a monster. (And yes, I had the best time sharing part of my life with him.)
What are you doing HERE!!! For crying out loud...GO BOAT!!
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #14
Greeley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
I took my older brother and we had the greatest time together. He's 8 years older and we only became true brothers and friends in adulthood; the Grand trip was an awesome part of that. He had recently had back surgery and was a bit clumsy the first couple days and he couldn't do all the hikes but I pushed hard for him to do Matkat and he did a great job. We exchanged life stories as if we just met because there hadn't been much overlap. After 16 days he still expressed wonder, gratitude and deep appreciation-for the Canyon, for my taking him, and for our friendship. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
We are here on Earth to do good for others. What the others are here for, I don't know. W.H. Auden
DocDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #15
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
A few people that have posted on this thread have reminded me of two great trips in my life.
1st trip, I took 2 of my nieces 11yrs and 16yrs old down the Green river 2 years ago at a post dam record flow of 42K. It was 8 days on the water. Neither had been camping. Neither had spent more than 5-7 days away from their parents. Neither had ever been on a raft or anything other than their dads 15' fishing boat. Neither had ever been out of the state of Texas or really strayed to much further than between Ft Worth and San Antonio, (Sea World) Other than one time to Ark. to visit an Aunt. The older of the 2 girls was, and still is, a girlie girl with all of a typical 16 year old ideas for a girl of that age (very neat, a lil gossipie, does nails, hair very important, thinks alot of what others think of her ect.) Sense they really never had been out of their somewhat shell, I decided to leave 7 days early and show them some of the greatest things the West has to offer! After I picked them up in Ft Worth we headed to Grand Canyon (South rim Desert View camp ground) for 3 days. Never dipped below the rim but they go to see pretty much all of the south rim. They where completely blown away. Unable to fathom the size of just one canyon among hundreds with in the main canyon. We even got to celabrate the younger nieces 12th birthday at El Tovar @ South Rim Village! Then it was off to Moab UT. On the way we took the off the beaten path drive. Moab of course grabbed their attention in a different way but still loved it! After Moab and the area for 24 hours, we met up with our group in Green River UT. the next day. Then launched on our 8 day rafting trip a day after that. Other than the misquitos at the put in at Deso Grey (which sucked ass for me rigging my boat) that was the only negative thing on our entire trip! The younger of the two, is a lot more of a tom boy than her sister, by a long shot! Both of them had a trip of a life time and want to go again! With all the animals that area has to offer, they saw it! 4 bears (2 of them cubs) rattle snake, rams, eagle, on and on! They still talk about it. I think that was awesome taking them both. They will be able to reflect on that trip together forever.
My friends thanked me for bringing them on the trip many times. They said they had a hoot watching them just experience every thing from seeing the beaches to the rapids the animals, very old native art, hikes and of course night Bocce ball!
The time is now Jan 2013, I was invited on a 18 day GC trip with a permit holder out of CO. to launch late May. A family trip. The TL had a daughter almost same age, seemed like a perfect fit. The older niece couldn't make this trip because of the typical list of things a young adult (17 years old about to be 1 has in her life at that time with high school coming to an end, work, new wheels, boys, and collage about to start. So, it is late May and my younger niece is jumping up and down w/ glee at Lee's ferry! Just 2 years prior she was standing at South Rim Village seeing it for the 1st time and now gets to run the best of the West and has heard many stories of this epic place and what it has to offer! A little nervous, but ready to launch as my passenger on my 18' boat. She only new me, and met one of my best friends that kayaked it as the 3 of us drove out to Flagstaff AZ. All the other people where all new faces for the 3 of us. I don't think she got tired of it or bored for one second? Every day was just more action and a new unbelievable adventure! Lots of animals that time of year! The people on that trip where fantastic. Everybody gelled well. When we where standing at our take out at Peirce Ferry on day 18, she said "Uncle B, when can we come back"?!!
I'm quite sure she will have rivers in her sight for many years to come.

As everybody is different, you never know what the out come will be?
If he goes, post up and let the Buzzards hear about it.
Where all just wishing we where on the trip anyway.
Cheers, Uncle B
liquidphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #16
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Took my little sister down about 10 years ago, right before she started having kids (4!) We are 13 years apart in age.
She hiked out at Phantom to return to work.
Being the stupid older sister, I had a slight history of getting her into places that were a bit dicey. It was stressful. It was a lot of work to make sure it would happen. But it was all a lot of work. I was TL taking a lot (3) non-boater, first timers.
I was in a kayak for the first part of the trip. She jumped in different rafts. She rowed Grapevine. She hiked out on her own. It was an amazing achievement for her.
Luckily, the ugly raft flip happened at Horn.
So glad we made it happen. She had a great time. I had a great time. We are still sisters and good friends. And I have some amazing nieces and nephews.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #17
Paddling Since: 96
Thanks for that "Uncle B". You are to be commended. You and the rio have changed a couple lives for the better. How cool is that?

To the OP. I say make it happen if you possibly can. The potential upside is worth a lot of effort IMHO.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #18
Granbury, Texas
Paddling Since: 2013
I just recently went on an 18 day trip on the Grand this June with my uncle and i was only 13.. it was fantastic! i had a blast, i dont know how old your brother is but i think he would have a great time. Trip of a lifetime. I hope to go again! I saw a group of kayakers from New Zealand on my trip who were a family. They had a 7 year old daughter and she was kayaking!!
Canyonlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #19
Granbury, Texas
Paddling Since: 2013
haha in fact, that's my Uncle B lol
Canyonlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #20
My brother had never been on an overnight river trip, but he had a great time on our Grand trip. The only problem we had was that I gave some of our beers away to other people, we ran out at the end of the trip, and we reverted back to the old days with a fight over lack of beer. It was one of the best trips I've been on. I wish we could do lots more trips together, but now he's married, has 3 kids, lives on the East coast with an over-bearing, shopping-for-a-hobby-type wife and the odds of getting him on a river trip again are pretty damn slim.

H2Obug is offline   Reply With Quote