Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 05-09-2012   #11
Centennial, Colorado
When you use nonanodized aluminum for your frame, spray it down with phosphoric acid, let sit for a while, wash off with a wet rag, dry, and spray with an acrylic clear coat or clear metal lacquer. Then nothing turns black.

By the way, I made a 4 bay double rail frame for less than $600 for my 14 footer.

JerkmyBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #12
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Been right where you are Louisanna: What you're doing will work. Non-anodized pipe will exodize and leave black marks over time, but, well, it can be washed off. I've been able to buy pipe at scrapyards from time to time. Whether you go with the larger or smaller pipe, though, do yourself one big favor - - add one more cross bar and two fittings and make it a FOUR BAY frame. You'll be glad you did, especially for a 16 footer. Finally, for the 3 bays that hold cargo, I like to make them equal dimensions, i.e., make them all fit your cooler, your drybox, or ammo cans, or whatever. This way you can change the location of things, e.g., put the cooler in front and sit on a deck on shorter trips, but the drybox in the center most of the time, or put it up front and the cooler behind it, etc. and so on. The versatility will payoff someday and doesn't take any more time to design it that way at the beginning. Me, I have a double-rail diamond plated Down River. I love it.

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #13
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
To me, the black stuff is not an issue. The non anodized aluminium will inevitably make black marks on your boat where the frame sits over time and you may get black spots on your legs where they rub against the cross bar when you row, but you will not look like chimney sweep.

There has to be a metal supply yard in Craig, right? If there is I would get a price from them on the pipe before ordering off the net.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #14
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Doing it

Hey guys,

I did talk to a metal supply place in Craig, CO, and am awaiting a quote. Alreco in Denver quoted me at 164.10 for 2 88" siderails and 5 66" cross bars, which is a solid $100 cheaper than the internet price plus shipping.

Cant find a local dealer for the hoallander 4 elbows and 6 tees, so i am going to get them online for 138.83 including shipping. So this means the 88" x 69" 4 bay frame will only cost $303.

Now I just need to get oar towers/locks and Ill be ready to roll. Any suggestions on those?

Thanks again for everything. Buying a bunch of metal that I have never seen before is a little bit unnerving...
Louisuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #15
Boise, Idaho
I have come up with a basic internal pipe oar tower design, but it is not yet proven(havent had time to run it down the river yet). It is very similar to rowframe's design, and uses a hollaender cross fitting like DRE/Clavey. I would stay away from NRS towers. They are heavy, not adjustable, and have a propensity to rotate if not very tight. I like Clavey's towers, but DRE/AAA/rowframe(Gary) all have good designs as well. I would go with one of these Hollaender-based tower designs. If you want the best go with some wildgoose engineering towers. Make sure to pin the corners of your frame, as well as your footbar so it doesn't rotate(if you decide to use one). Using a jig and/or a drill press will help you drill your fittings more accurately. I only use seats on catboats and sit on plywood decks covering drop-bag bays on my gear boat. I am thinking about making new decks from HDPE to save on weight. I too run 88 inch rails and have 3 - 18 inch bays(2 drop, 1 cooler) plus cockpit, and have ample room. I slide everything forward for weight distribution and to make more room in the stern for gear. I have heard good things about the new NRS aluminum oar locks. I cut decks to run on either side of the cooler for: centering the cooler, walking on the boat, avoiding entrapment, strapping water jugs.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #16
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Originally Posted by mdconner View Post
Rowframe.com never returns emails or phone calls
Conner is a liar. I've had Gary return both calls and emails. Maybe liar is a bit hard. Over-exaggerater? Generalizationer?
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #17
The Big Smoke, Washington
Originally Posted by caseybailey View Post
Conner is a liar. I've had Gary return both calls and emails. Maybe liar is a bit hard. Over-exaggerater? Generalizationer?
I had a hard time getting a hold of the G man recently as well. I think it's because he's a busy dude doing the 9-5, etc, so no big deal to me.
constructeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #18
Centennial, Colorado
Another thing to think about, with 4 more tees and 2 more long pieces you could have a double rail frame. The crossbars would be shorter and it wouldn't cost much more. Just an idea.
JerkmyBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #19
Ridgway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
If your phyc'd about your new 16' rubber then you should do a sweet frame since your rig is only as sweet as the rubber + the frame. With that size boat do yourself a favor and put a 4 bay frame on, get a flip seat to go over the cooler, and a pacific river clam shell bag for the stern. Trying to save a few hundred bucks on your frame sure wont seem so sweet when your spending 3 of the best weeks of your life living on the Grand and hassling everyday with a cheaper frame set up (or the MF for that matter) . Pony up for side boards or a double rail diamond plate too - I'tl be the best money spent!

DRE sells fittings that fit NRS size pipe so you can get their oar tower set ups extra tall and cut them down to size. Lots of 16' setups have 10"+ towers and the NRS max out at 8" which is a big difference. I think DRE has 12" towers you can order.

Without the anadiozing your boat will be an uncleanable mess in no time too.

Hope my 2cents helpd out - Post some pics of what you build!
ciggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #20
Call Riverboat Works in Salida.

Big Da
Big Da is offline   Reply With Quote