Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 04-28-2015   #11
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Cock fighting for nite time entertainment.

spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #12
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've been doing this for years and believe me there's nothing better than having those fresh eggs in the morning! Not only that but the chickens in camp take care of lots of creepy-crawly bugs that you don't want to find in your shoes or sleeping bag. There's just something about kicking back with a cold beer and watching the hens scratch and peck around camp just like back at home...

Not many people know this but the good thing is that since none of the rivers have regulations specifically prohibiting chickens, just like with anything else that's not mentioned in the regs, you can bring them along! Usually the ranger just stands there slack-jawed at the checkout and you can be on the river before they recover from the surprise. Outfitting them with PFDs is a must because even though they can swim, they're not really evolved for running whitewater the way ducks and geese are - I found that out the hard way and it was RIP for Princess Layer... . Fortunately you can get henny PFDs at the same place that has those really cute whitewater PFDs for cats. A pet carrier for them to bed down and lay eggs in works great, I just leave mine open on the back of the boat and they can roam around on the tubes freely and go right in when it's time to drop an egg. Just be careful because after they lay and come out squawking it can be a bit of a distraction if you're trying to focus on setting up for a big drop...

Once you've taken them on a few trips and they get to know the routine, a really cool thing to do is to mount a GoPro on their heads for big rapids - they've got an instinctive way of keeping the head stabilized that Mercedes was able to mimic in their SUVs to help provide a smooth ride. It takes a bit of training before they'll hang onto a bow perch when you're running the shit but once they've got it down, you'll get some awesome footage when you blast through big waves and holes!

Once you start bringing them along, you'll never leave the gals at home again!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #13
Bismarck, North Dakota
Paddling Since: 2012
I would prefer to take chickens on multiday trips over toddlers. If the trip goes catastrophic chickens are allot easier to eat than toddlers. Not as tasty but socially more excepted. Chickens don't complain or cry either.......Just sayin
Remember what the door mouse said.......................feed your head.........feed your head ©®™
sammyphsyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015   #14
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I remember an AW article maybe from Nepal or India, where they just feathered her foot to the top of the gear pile. She was dinner on an early night, maybe laid a few eggs first, but mainly a way to bring meat without needing a cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015   #15
C. Springs, Colorado
Because my dog is afraid of the water.....can I put some feathers on her.....call her a chicken......and take her down Deso?
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015   #16
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
Andy H, dude you just made my f'n day. Thanks Man. Holy shit.

Crooked River Whiskey. Not for everyone.
Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015   #17
p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
I've been doing something similar, been bring a goose along for layover days. After we slaughter the bird we remove the livers and make a foie gras break out the champagne and booze. Nothing like a good " pate" on layover.
rivh2o is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015   #18
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015   #19
Carbondale, Colorado
There's a local story...friend of a friend of a friend...somebody knows somebody who.. Took a pig down the Grand Canyon "back in the day."

Fed him food scraps and leftovers, keeping trash buildup to a minimum, and had pork chops late in the trip.

Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015   #20
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've never brought chickens rafting, but I have taken a goat on whitewater. A friend of mine was getting married and we asked him what he wanted to do for his bachelor party. He said, jokingly, he wanted to go on an overnight raft trip and bring a goat and kill it and roast it over a fire. He got his wish.

I don't think it is something I would do again, but it was memorable.

Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote