Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 03-14-2013   #11
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
Agreed on cramming your foot under the thwarts. I've jammed up my knee (I don't put my foot under the thwart anymore) and have had a couple paddlers in my boat, one being my mom, twist a knee because of that

ReillRaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #12
Lincoln City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
As usual the Buzzards are full of good info.

Here is another option for intermediate to advanced paddle team. Straddle your thwarts (yes this requires flexibility ) Front paddlers use toe strap for front foot. Rear foot brace against rear thwart(r-2) interlock ankles with rear paddler who straddles (r-4) rear thwart . Center of gravity is low, paddlers can be "locked " into the boat, minimal entrapment hazards. Search "Oregon Rafting Team ". For examples This is typical set-up for advanced aggressive paddle boaters. Offers quite a bit of flexibility for the boat and paddler sizes . FWIW

mrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #13
Ashlandistan, Oregon
If you are having paddlers in the bow the best option is one footcup per person IMHO. Running a strap across the floor IS an entrapment liability and a compromise in stability relative to footcups.
Interlocking ankles and a strap on the floor is a typical set-up for advanced paddle boaters?
solboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #14
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
I've got two footcups in the front and one in the back. Had AIRE weld them in when I bought the boat. I figured since I was getting it new- I might as well have them do it right (I've seen really bad glue jobs). I like the set up.

I've had some bad luck getting my foot stuck in the "gutter" of boats (most notably the NRS boats). I've had my KEENs ripped off when I've stuck my foot between the floor and the tube and had to move quickly. Lesson learned- remember to really tighten the footwear and don't wedge the foot so much....lol
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #15
Winter Park/Canon City, Colorado
^^Agreed. NRS boats are a bitch with their death-grip bottom channels. Give me a Hyside or Avon any day! The outfitter I worked at for years keeps buying NRS and selling old Hysides and Avons. Just don't like the NRS boats that much, including their shoe-trapping tendencies.
freeheeltim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #16
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Install the footcups. When it comes time to do a repair you'll be experienced and confident with your technique. Use hypalon adhesive and the accelerant. If the footcups hold you'll know you're ready for an air holding repair when the time comes.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #17
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Whitewater Emperience Level?

If you don't mind my asking what is your paddling background? The reason I ask is that I got my first raft a couple years ago, my background was a lot of canoeing Class II and some easy whitewater tubing plus a few commercial raft trips here and there. What I didn't realize when I bought the raft is that I am now responsible for my passengers safety in a huge way, and really needed to take a three day swiftwater rescue course to be safe and know how to react to common incidents in a class III+ environment.

Basically if you bought a raft, don't be surprised that you just became a raft guide whether you intended to or not (and footcups won't prevent everyone from falling out of your raft, people find creative ways to take unexpected swims - and you're responsible to ensure they make it to safety when they do).

Issip is offline   Reply With Quote