Old 04-28-2014   #1
Alta Lake, BC
Paddling Since: 1982
Boise Grocery Shop

We have a mid-July MF permit and plan to stage/shop in Boise. Any ideas on the best, most helpful grocery store?

Chancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Definitely Winco, there's one in town and one on the way to the river.

slushhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #3
Searching for water....., Nevada
Definetly winco downtown. There is a whole foods next door if you can't find everything you need at winco.

Have a safe and happy trip
Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #4
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Fred Meyer

Fred Meyer. There are several in the Boise area. They have a huge selection of food (good organic selection) and anything else you may need. I think they are way better than Winco. The Coop in downtown Boise for a more local, natural store. It is a great store. There is also a Whole Foods in Boise.
jones boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #5
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
If you are on a budget at all, go with WinCo, they are far cheaper than any of the other stores, and should be very helpful.
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #6
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Not sure what you will find in Boise but the Twin Falls Winco is indispensable for my river trip planning. All dry goods, staples, coffee, condiments, dairy, eggs - will be cheaper for the same product.

Fred Meyer seems to have good quality stuff but you pay a premium. there is also a Costco or two in Boise. One over by Overland. I think their meat is better quality but I don't use Costco produce for river trips ever. It has been packaged for too long before you get it and it doesn't seem to hold up very well at all.

Winco produce can be hit or miss. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes not so much. Their fruit seems to be pretty good. Go early in the day for best selection. And whatever you do don't go on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

If you are small trip it may not work, but I always contact the manager of my local grocery store and say something like " we are doing a trip for 15 people and our food budget is $2,500. For convenience we would like to not run around all over will you give us a 10% discount if we do our major food shop with you?" Never been turned down yet.

I would also call ahead to ask if you can have someone help you learn the store real quick. As in mini tour. Grocery stores love to help you spend money at their store.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #7
Boise, Idaho
Winco if price and selection are important. Although Costco might be an option, depending on how much stuff you want. Besides not going on the weekend, don't go between 4:30-6:00 on the weekday, or around the 1st of the month (WIC). Super early in the mornings or early at night is best. It is a 24 hours store.

On the other end of the spectrum, you could go to Whole Foods or the Coop if you want to get your granola, organic foodie on.

Fred Meyer is okay because they a bunch of non-grocery items in the same store, but I wouldn't shop for groceries there. Too expensive.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #8
Fort Collins, Colorado
Originally Posted by jones boater View Post
Fred Meyer.
I second this notion
ofrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #9
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Winco is definitely the least expensive.
Winco stores are just crammed full.
Costco is usually the best quality but it can be expensive and its mostly in bulk only.

Fred Meyer in-between.
Freddies is definitely better quality than Winco. Shows up in baked goods and fruit.

Appropriate that Wally and Safeway and Albertsons have not been mentioned.

Full disclosure. Don't have a Winco locally so when we visit friends near Salem this weekend we'll be stopping at a Winco on the return.

Pull up the Fred Meyer ad before you go if you're tight.
Fred Meyer - Weekly Ad Results

Or the Winco ad if you're really tight.
Coupons and Specials | WinCo Foods

- - - - - - -

Winco is employee-owned. BTW
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #10
Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Are you guys really debating the best place to buy food? How about the grocery you drive by on the way. Done and done.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.
hand8272 is offline   Reply With Quote