Old 03-04-2016   #11
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
If you do end up making this self tightening strap system, please share some details. Google gave me no good results when searching self tightening strap.
Just thinking a fat’ish expansion spring from Lowe’s would do the job. Would have to play with them to figure out what tension would work. Might have to play with the ends to get the right hoops for attachment. Strap one end to the trailer and the other end would be the anchor point to the raft, nothing complicated going on.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I live in Denver and almost always cross the divide to go boating, or at least Kenosha Pass. I set mine at 2psi at home and run with it, never had an issue but I have a newer hypalon boat that has no issues, might be more cautious with and older boat.

I worked for an outfitter for while and he said boats are designed for a max of 10psi, we would fill them to operating pressure in Denver and drive to the Upper C never had a problem.

I do let air out on the way home when it is hot but I keep and eye on it on the road. I have had it loose to much pressure coming down into town before and the ass end hanging off the trailer. I am usually more worried about wear from the frame or straps so I like to keep it rather full to avoid the bouncing that it does as we move down the road.

I have seen boats that are partially inflated to the point the frame is almost hitting the deck of the trailer and I would think you would end up with the frame rubbing through the outer coating of the fabric.

Whitewater Spoon
jspoon14 is offline   Reply With Quote