Old 04-10-2014   #21
Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
Hi Cookie,

There is probably 1 of 2 things going on.

1 - The bladders are way over-sized, kind of like a bike tube. That way when the boat is inflated, all the air pressure is on the outside PVC and not on the welded seams of the Urethane AIREcell. If one chamber is inflated to rock hard pressure before any of the other chambers, it could take up 1/2-ish of the boat which would make it appear that one AIREcell is filling up most of the boat. This could be particularly true if an internal bulkhead is blow out, then one chamber really could fill up about 2/3 of a 12' boat. For reference, here is a raft inflation video we put together:

2 - The fused AIREcell is not out of the realm of possibility. That being said, we have only seen it a few times in our repair shop with heavy used outfitter boats and in early 90 boats because we didn't have a bulkhead system back then. For your AIREcells to have fused together they would of had to blown through the bulkhead and baked together in the sun. Blown out bulkheads don't happen often and are usually cause by years of repeated over-inflation.

3 - So what can you do now? Inflate all the chambers of your boat to 1/2 pressure and then top them off as described in the video. Does everything look right? If so, your well meaning boyfriend probably just over-inflated one AIREcell before filling up the rest.

4 - If one chamber really is inflating your boat, it's time to take a look inside. People tend to be intimidated by zippers but they are not THAT bad. Here is a zipper video we put together:

5 - Take a look around. Are any bulkheads damaged? Is anything ripped? If so, give us a call at 800-247-3432 or direct to service at 208-991-5771. If you are feeling particularly adventurous, Here is a video on replacing baffles:

So, the good new, every piece of that boat can be repaired or replaced. If you don't feel comfortable opening up your raft you can awalys send it to us or one of our service centers. Let me know if you have any questions and keep us posted!

Sheena Coles
AIRE Marketing

AIRE Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #22
Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
When I put air into one chamber with the other completely deflated, I can sit on that tube, move the air into the other bladder, and deflate it using the opposite valve. That's not normal, and I know what a raft is supposed to look like when I blow it up.
Whoops, just saw this reply of yours, sorry about that. Yep, not normal. Give us a call, we'll get you back on the water.

Sheena Coles
AIRE Marketing

AIRE Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #23
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
This kind of customer service is pretty damn cool. I'd be stoked to own an Aire boat.
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #24
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
you are right! that was a dumb thing of me to say! lol. I tried to delete my comment but too late. id be stoked to own an aire/trib/ or any other craft that gets me out on jah water! sorry for disrespect AIRE! I have had a ton of fun in TRIB IKS!! really the only thing I personally don't like about them is the IK I used to use had a giant zipper right on the top of the tube. that was annoying when getting in and out of. and I disliked that they had the smaller b7 valves. I was really just trolling. please forgive my boredom and release the bad ju ju I startd. SMoothe sailing, happy paddling, and trouble free boating to all!!!
GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #25
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
But the B7 holds air better than a C7

Wear shoes in the Safety first, then teamwork.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote