Old 04-11-2014   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Black Canyon Flow Question

First off hello all. Been reading for years but finally signed up.

I've done the Black Canyon before, but the flows were always around 6-700. I've run 13-14ft rafts down there.

Planning on doing a trip in June this year. I'm guessing the flows will be more around 1000-1500.

I'll be running a fishcat 13 with the standard 8 foot oars. It was tight before with longer 10ft oars and a bigger boat. The toughest to navigate for me were the Boulder Gardens and the Cables.

At those higher flows how does the difficulty change? In my previous runs I thought a little more water would give me room to maneuver but don't want to get into something huge down there that I'm not expecting.

I'm fairly competent on the oars and have done most fishing floats in CO and western MT. Any input or experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #2
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
New generation in a row boat

I have heard that New Generation Rapid can be a bit tricky in a 13ft boat.

How was your line in that drop at 700cfs?

calling ranger milo...420us......are you out here ........ what is the beta for rowing rafts down the black at 1000cfs?....
....milo are you on the buzz radio?.....

buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #3
Denver, Colorado
Honestly I'd have to look at a map again to see which one that is. I couldn't find a map online (miraculous I know) to see which one that is. I really remember Cables and Boulder Gardens being the ones that I scouted and worried about. It was just super tight through some of those rapids in a big boat. If you can find a map throw it up, I think I got pictures of almost all the different sections from one of my trips.

I should probably clarify, I'll be going Chukar to Pleasure Park.
Old 04-11-2014   #4
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Buckman is just being an ass since most refer to that section as the Gunny Gorge, not the Black Canyon. The GG NRA website has a pretty good map, and 1000+ cfs will be way easier in a 13+ foot raft.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #5
B.V., Colorado
Clarify. We all know you meant the gunny gorge, beautiful section but not the tingle I get when thinking about dropping into the black canyon. No one rafts the black canyon (I'm sure some crazy will say otherwise), some get confused and call the whole area the black canyon, same rocks but the raft run is outside the park. I had to use restraint to not troll you like buckman.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-BlackCanyonMap.png
Views:	194
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	8113  
"Huck Finn?...more like huck-and-swim"
Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #6
Denver, Colorado
Fair enough. What can I say, I'm obviously ignorant. If it will be easier that sounds fantastic. Thanks for not totally flaming me.

If anyone is in CO I'll let you know other times we're going. Maybe we can get a flotilla going or share shuttles. Finding other people that can row is very challenging so I occasionally have an open seat.
Old 04-16-2014   #7
Montrose, Colorado
Here's the link to the Gunny Gorge map and brochure:

Boulder Garden is a bit easier now than it was years ago, due to debris deposited in a big flood a few years ago. Cable is still a nice challenge. The Squeeze is pretty tough in low water (~300 cfs) for 13 footers, but no worries this year. It's running around 450 cfs right now and will likely have good flows (600-1,000) through at least mid-summer. Could be some high flows in May/June depending on releases from the up-river dams. Low flows can be pretty technical, higher flows are less technical (up to a point) but have greater consequences if you flip.
efranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014   #8
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I run the gorge 4 or 5 times a summer in pretty much anything that floats - even tried riding it to Ute on an inflatable shark. Obviously the more water the better but most of the lines are the same with alternative routes through Boulder Gardens and Cable being an option above 1100. I have run it at 3500 which is a bit different with a nice keeper hole developing on the left side of Boulder Gardens. Just check the flows before. I'd be down with a run in June .
kmh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #9
Gunnison Country, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I floated the gorge last year in my e series 16' @ 475cfs w/ half fishing rig set-up for the first time. The boat is slightly narrower and some moves were super tight but didn't get hung up. Wasn't able to scout cables in time but cleaned it.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Battlepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #10
Montrose, Colorado
Anyone looking to float the Gunnison Gorge or Black Canyon this spring should be aware that the flows may be unusually high for a few weeks.

More info here: Anticipated Flows in Gunny Gorge -- May/June

efranz is offline   Reply With Quote

black canyon