Old 07-17-2014   #11
Yukon, Alabama
Thanks folks - everyone is correctly understanding my situation. A Buzz member that has helped me tremendously over the last year or so also suggested making my own early on so I could customize it for my specific purposes. My search for plans on making a bimini only produced PVC construction and what I consider marginal execution for the fabric top. Having a kicker on the back and fixed motorman seat presents its own issue with folding down the bimini which might require a forward fold. There is also the issue of whether or not to mount to the inside or outside double rails - all associated with stowing oars and having adequate on-board sleeping room width.

Yukon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014   #12
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Man, you are going to have one hell of a rig. I would love to do one like that. More pics of the rig please. Just got off the middle fork in my 18er. Slept like a baby on her, had room for 4 groover tanks, all the trash, 3 coolers, 260 beers, lots of liquor, mixers, a mandolin, a guitar, couple drums, lots of food and more. There's no better boat if you have the water.

spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014   #13
Denver, Colorado
Given your high costs of shipping and inability to view pre-ordering, I was just thinking that home-made or locally fabricated would be the way to go. And I was thinking PVC as well. They do make it in various grades, you know. I used a stick of 1 1/4" schedule 120 to use as a tie-down for 4 rocket boxes on a burly ww trip, and it worked great.
ridecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014   #14
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Hi Jack. I've seen your rig and it's just fine. When comes to shipping your oars in while motoring, assuming you have your two spares tied one on each side, those should hang below the frame correct? To ship the oars that in the locks, why not just rest them on the spares and leave them ready at all times? If you're really traveling long with the motor, you can always throw a strap on. They don't need to come all the way inside the boat, and the bimini frame shouldn't interfere in any way.

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote