Old 12-27-2015   #1
Paddling Since: 1994
Bighorn Sheep canyon ice

A few days ago the river from Rincon to Parkdale was perfectly clear of ice. The situation has changed. I ran a few miles above and below Vallie Bridge today and was rowing through a slurpee river with thick shelves along most of the banks. It was beautiful out and that section was still runnable, though that could change tonight. The lower part of the canyon is not clear. A couple miles above Pinnacle Rock there are a couple serious riverwide ice dams and several other spots along the Pinnacle- Parkdale run looked sketchy at best with narrow slots flowing into thick near riverwide shelves. There could be riverwide ice dams that I couldn't see from the road. I was impressed at how quick the river went from clear to having several inch thick shelves and dams.

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016   #2
Sheridan, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
You lucky son of a gun, at least your on the water/ice and getting a break from sniffing glue! I love that winter bighorn, used to see lots of golden eagles around that time of year. Cheers brotha!

Whitewater Repairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016   #3
Paddling Since: 1994
Nobody is pushing to hard for their boats this time of year though March is going to come quick.

Really nice to take off the mask and get out for a float. There is a nesting pair of bald eagles on that stretch that I see frequently. The slurpee water made it feel like I was rowing a loaded 16' instead of an empty 13'.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules