I just bought 2009 Honda Pilot for that purpose.
My reasons are:
- haul 8 people comfortably
- be able to pull my trailer (Pilot pulls 5,000 lbs)
- have higher clearance than a normal car
- decent gas milage 15mpg pulling a trailer with 8 people in the car, 19 mpg running around town and 24 mpg on the freeway with one passenger
- folding flat seats to make room for cargo inside
- offroading, don't need a rock crawler, but need some dirt road access
- low enough for kids/wife to get in without a ladder
- all the bells and whistles (gps, entertainment tv, modern looking dash, heated seats, backup camera, etc)
So far I have been very very happy with this vehicle.