Old 06-09-2015   #1
Monument, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Best river sections to start rafting on

I just purchased a Hyside mini-Max. I have set-ups that will allow me to oar the boat or use it as a paddle raft. I'm not new to the river, as I have kayaked for several years. I know how to read the river, but don't have any experience running a raft. My questions is: What would be the best river sections to run the raft and gain experience on within a couple of hours from the Colorado Springs area?

SkySkiDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015   #2
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
In the Ark: the milk run just above and thru Salida. Low head dam has a boat chute river left. Signs for the dam start a mile above at Brown bridge. Upper bighorn canyon. Salida to Rincon. There are some class 2+, 3- Rapids on this section with Bear creek being the longest. Look me up when you get here. We usually have a large group out on Sundays.

Skikbum66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I know some people refer to all easy water as "Milk Runs" but there is a stretch actually called that on the Ark, it is Johnson Village to Ruby Mountain.

The stretch referred to above with the low head is Big Bend to room for confusion when discussing a dam...
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015   #4
C. Springs, Colorado
With the high water, you might try the Arkansas river below Pueblo Reservoir.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules