Old 02-26-2013   #1
Denver, Colorado
best river camera

What do y'all use?

I am looking for input on your favorite camera you guys use on the river, Point and shoot waterproof vs Dslr - reviews, pros, cons, feel free to put some pics up to showcase your camera's work.

Best camera for quick and dirty shots, best camera for ease of use, best camera for epic shots of Grand Canyon scenery, what has best action shots, whats actually affordable.

no mention of go pros is appreciated

bwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
For the quick and dirty/ease of use/tough as nails category, I've got the Pentax WG-1, which I wear in the mesh pocket of my PFD and never had any problems with leaking. Waterproof/shockproof/freezeproof, etc. point and shoot. Battery handles a day skiing in the cold. Works great for boating, skiing and dusty/sandy environments. Dunk it in water if it gets dirty. At 14 MP, it's got plenty of resolution for a point and shoot, and pics are good, but not SLR quality, obviously.

It's also pretty affordable, now that they've got the W-2. If you wanna spend another $70 for 16MP and a GPS, get that one.

I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #3
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I was really impressed with the Pentax optio wg2 on our trip. Good all around great panoramic photos, and good video with a lot of features. We did a few time elapsed of set up and take down at camp that were cool. But i'm no professional. Just my opinion
huck_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #4
Denver,, exhaustion
Remember, or realize, that most panoramic feature just crop the top and bottom of your image to make the pano. Some will auto stitch multiple images together ( think take 2-3 prints and taping them together)
A true panoramic camera will have a larger than normal sensor ( or film ) for the lens used.

As an ex professional photographer ( photojournalist )
I am very picky with my cameras. I do not like the shutter lag time of point and shoots. I demand the shutter response of a high end DSLR.

Point and shoots are great for rafter's pics of their rigs and yeti coolers but for kayakers and actions shots you want something quick.

Just remember to buy a quality waterproof bag if you bring a nice camera with you.
"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Hey there, here's my current set up.
POV - Drift Ghost HD
DSLR - Canon 7D
Drybag - Watershed Ocoee with liner

Aboslutely love this.
To air is human, to get big air divine.
Dwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #6
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by bwest View Post
Best camera for quick and dirty shots, best camera for ease of use, ...whats actually affordable.
Olympus Stylus/Tough series is hard to beat for waterproof/shockproof/quick and dirty/ease of use/affordable.

$50-100 for used ones in pawn shops or eBay. $250-300 new.

If you're a good photog and can take advantage of decent glass, DSLR in an Otter box. I leave those shots to the good photogs and concentrate on candids.

And the little fisheye cameras you don't want me to mention take great scenery shots.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #7
Denver,, exhaustion
Watershed!!!! They work. Period.

I've seen to many otterbox's leak. Not a lot but if you are putting something of value in it...

Go with the best system you can afford. Camera and waterproof system as well.
"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #8
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I have the fuji xp. Its water/shock/dust and freeze proof. It has 14 megapixels so it takes great pics. Its small and lightweight. This camera is constanltly in and out of the water and I have never had any problems. Its also affordable about $150
Cartwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Talk about an open ended question.

Here's another angle. I went with the Sony NEX camera, which is a mirrorless interchangeable lens system. Sensor is a APS-C, so it's essentially DSLR IQ. Kayaking advantage (and in general) over an SLR is that the body is much smaller and lighter.

Main disadvantage over a mid-upper range SLR is slower focusing due to lack of phase detection (being added to newer sensors but think the technology is not perfected yet - ?) For kayaking purposes I've found the focusing to be plenty fast, but if you were filming NASCAR from the front row it might be frustrating. Also lens selection is more limited compared to older mounts that have been around a long time.

The size, weight, and ease of use without sacrificing IQ has won me over though. I can get it in a small Pelican case, which I generally prefer for day to day use over Watershed, and large Pelican cases are a pain to deal with in kayaks.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #10
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Can't believe no one has mentioned the GoPro.

The Hero3 (and Hero2) takes awesome photos. The one thing it lacks is a viewfinder. But the new GoPros have been producing some outstanding images across the internet.

Favre is offline   Reply With Quote