Old 03-30-2015   #11
The Box, ~
Paddling Since: 1992
I've been extremely happy with my NRS aluminum floors. I and a buddy both have the 72" aluminum floors on our cat frames. Another buddy has the 66" on his cat frame. Full length of our frames. All three frames and floors were purchased in 2001 and are going strong 14-years later.

I love stacking gear on the hard floor and I'm always reminded of this when I rig my round boat with everything hanging from the frame off the floor. The hard floor is like loading a truck bed.

riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015   #12
Alpine, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2010
My 16 ft. Cat has marine plywood painted a nice river blue. It's withstood the test of time and if fully customizable to your needs.

Buddha09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015   #13
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
I've got some Polymax after seeing Alex's post and have used it inside drop bags but never thought of it for flooring, at least unsupported floor. Will it hold you you - seems like it would eventually crack and break apart?
I initially put Polymax in the floor of my Captains bay in 2011. I strapped it tight to the droprails and then ran straps off the top crossbars down and laced it through the floor so I had a strap under the floor where I would typically stand. It had some bounce but I came to completely trust it and it worked for years. Last year I reconfigured my frame and moved my rowing position forward. This allowed me another bay for passengers behind me and I added a second Polymax floor. I was able to move the crossbars on the droprails of my Down River frame to place them in the center of these two floors making it really solid. I reused the first floor and it is still as good as new. I also made a front " wall" with cutouts for my feet in lieu of a footbar.

I got a lot of ideas from "Chip" on here who builds small cats for research and uses the Polymax extensively.

I really need to figure out how to post a picture...
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015   #14
Louisville, Colorado
Our 16' lion only has a floor in the captains bay. Everything else is boxes, cooler, and drop/Barney bag. But I have also run a little wildcat floorless and an NRS setup with fabric floor. I think what floor setup is best depends on your frame type and usage. I agree that NRS style drop rails with a fabric floor (of any make) is problematic unless frame cross members are added.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015   #15
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The Polymax floor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	9608   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	9609  

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015   #16
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
My 16 foot cat came with grid wall (retail hanger stuff) for the floor. I love that I can see through to the river. Only real issue would be its not the best to walk on with bare feet. That polymax looks good
snowjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015   #17
billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Call AIRE, their floors are the best floor you can buy, period. I've seen a lot of floors and none come close. They will make custom sizes. Not the cheapest. All Pvc welded with encased rods running full length so the tension is even.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015   #18
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
There are only two options on my cat for a floor. Everything else has a box or cooler or drop bag. My passenger area has a wood floor I made from 2x2 lumber strips. I use a strap to help support yhe load of a passenger because I didnt feel comfortable with the 3'5" span from drop to drop.

My rowing section has a drop in welded aluminum platform where I made scout bars. The center is completely free. I can swim up through the opening, my wife can squat and pee, and if the river is shallow I can offload my weight and help lift the boat over gravel bottoms
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015   #19
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I wrote up a blog post on how I setup mine. The floor itself is from Tuff River Stuff. And it's affixed with straps and rope.

Floored. | Ben A Golden
lambardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015   #20
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Never actually seen it in operation, but I always thought trampoline bed material would be perfect; it's UV resistant, tougher than my banker, and not really expensive; plus it's relatively easy to work with.
It will let water drain through, but provide some solid support.

Trampoline Fabric: Trampoline Fabric Manufacturers, Suppliers, Exporters

This stuff comes in colors and is either 13' or 14' wide; you have to order 3 yards minimum, but for less than $60 you could fashion a floor that I think would be the thing! In case you are concerned the stuff might tear easily or not be up to the task, you could probably double it up and be almost bullet proof.

If I had a cat I'd be looking to try it.

Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote