Old 01-07-2014   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Below Six Mile Gap

I have yet to run the NP. I have read some conflicting info about the rapids below Six Mile. I like to be very cautious when hitting a new river so any info about CFS levels and what will be found would be awesome and much appreciated. Just looking for some info from anyone that knows that stretch well.

I run a 13ft raft and 99% is for fishing so I am not searching for heavy whitewater. I have many years on the water and have rowed through a few decent class III but whitewater is not why I hit the river.

What is the best gauge to check for water levels?

Yes I have been to the area and am familiar with the trail down to the river and that fact that gear must be carried.

T1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #2
Radville, Colorado
At most flows that stretch is II-III-. For fishable flows you'll mainly be dodging rocks. There aren't any dangerous/retentive holes, ledges, or undercuts. That stretch gets its "reputations" from fisherman taking drift boats down and getting hung up in the rocks and sinking them. I personally know one person who did this.

If you can read water, and know how to pick a line through rock gardens, this sections is of little concern. If you don't get these concepts, the run is still manageable - you'll just want to plan a little extra time for scouting.

Obviously one of the big things to remember with the NP is that it's very secluded. If you get into trouble on the upper sections, there is a good chance you won't see anyone to help you out of your pickle.

The Kooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #3
Radville, Colorado
And here is the gauge:

I see you're a FoCo local. If you can get your boat down filterplant/bridges you'll be more than prepared for the NP. The fishing is underrated from a raft on those sections, too.
The Kooz is offline   Reply With Quote