Bare Bone Fishing Raft- what else do i need? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-29-2015   #21

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer View Post
If that is your idea of a Bare Bones fishing raft, I'd hate to ever row your "Full On" rig while you fish. Just for reference, with that much crap on your raft you are solidly missing out on some of the best sections at the best flows. Don't buy into what all the guides over at Minturn anglers have on their boats, they need to have all the goodies to look good in front of their clients.
I was gonna say the EXACT same thing!

I prefer to have my raft as uncluttered and light as possible. I don't like hopping over all these rails to change positions, banging my shins an knees when getting in and out or moving seats, having my flyline hang up on every nut and item....My boat (when rigged for fishing/day trip) is light enough for two to pick up for a short distance and walk over the summertime shoals.

Most the guys I fish with keep theirs simple too. We sit on tubes, squat down for big whitewater and have lots of room to stretch out.

Trailers complicate things where I'm from. I can access 10x's more runs than the trailer guys do simply because we cannot carry their heavy ass boats up and down the undeveloped accesses.

2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015   #22
FISHTARD

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Thanks everybody, you are awesome

Im liking the hang-off-the-side rib tube selection. Has anyone had any trouble with catching/banging on walls/rocks/trees? and that kind of thing.

ELKHAVEN- thanks for the diagram (and all the pre-boat help). My raft is in Grand Junction at a buddy's place so I am not sure if there is actually space where pvc could fit underneath the frame like that. Another big thing is EASE OF PUTTING THEM AWAY- id prefer a tube where I can just set the rod in or slide it into a small section of fully wrapped. With just ends open it seems Id almost have to get out of the boat to slide them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer View Post
If you are a guide at Minturn, I take everything back, put all the heavy bling you can on there for tips sake(never want a client to think its the boats fault he isn't setting the hook)

HA! I am not a guide for Minturn, just live down the street. So no worries there! It always the boat's fault.. either the boat or the shitty Scott and Sage rods....

My "Bare bone"-ness was coming from I had no idea on what accessories I would need to have. Dry bags and things like that. More so the placement of bags and stuff.

At this point Im only running the Upper C, so not too worried about weight and stuf like that. Although Im sure Ill miss my little 2 man cata-toon from Creek Company when Im dropping in to the Lower Blue....
120lbs of love
Old 01-29-2015   #23

Donkey Town, Colorado
If you knew anything about minturnanglers you would knw they blue collar, ghetto rolling bosses, learn about it, this thread is beat!

"Please help"

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015   #24

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishVailStevo View Post
Im liking the hang-off-the-side rib tube selection. Has anyone had any trouble with catching/banging on walls/rocks/trees? and that kind of thing.

ELKHAVEN- thanks for the diagram (and all the pre-boat help). My raft is in Grand Junction at a buddy's place so I am not sure if there is actually space where pvc could fit underneath the frame like that. Another big thing is EASE OF PUTTING THEM AWAY- id prefer a tube where I can just set the rod in or slide it into a small section of fully wrapped. With just ends open it seems Id almost have to get out of the boat to slide them in.
No, I've never had a problem with them hitting anything, there should still be rubber sticking out below them so you'll likely hit there. Could you hit one on a rock? Sure, but that's what the tube is for, protection. I use poly pipe vs pvc, it's a little more expensive but more flexible and easier to bend to your desires and it's bomb proof. You could drive over it with a truck and it won't break.

If you look at my boat, the rear angler can easily slide a rod in or out of the tube while seated. Same for the front with the rod tube on the other side. No need to get out. I don't have grooves at all, just slide in from one end.

If you want to go off the side with grooves you'll have to alter the way the tube attaches. I just wrap a strap around mine, but that would make the grove useless. I've thought of cutting two thin slits to run a strap through and leaving 2 or 3 or so feet of grove exposed but am happy with my system and don't really need to change it. You could think along those lines.

You definitely don't have a bare bones set up! but each to his own right. I agree with comments saying you don't need a huge cooler but have found that I use half of it for dry(ish) storage and half as a cooler by putting either a small hard cooler or a soft cooler inside. I put cold things in the little cooler and use the side space for rain coats, sweatshirts...really anything folks might want in a hurry and dry snacks.

I run a drybox under the rowers seat where I put all my stuff: Waders, my rain coat, patch kit, pump, single burner stove (with a couple cans of chilli, (especially spring and fall) extra dry gear for kids/slacker friends, rescue kit. I hang a throw bag off the crossbar in front of the drybox and next to the left tube. I have a drop bag upfront to store pfd's, net and any catchall that can get wet.
Old 01-30-2015   #25

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Some thoughts on boat rigging...

1. We all have different needs, so look for advice but figure out what works for you.

2. There are several valid philosophies for rigging. Fishing and boating takes a fair bit of gear, you get to choose whether it is stored on the boat or off the boat. In the bare bones approach most of the gear ends up laying around in vests, back packs and dry bags. On my boat I prefer all that clutter in one big dry box.

3. I also find it easier to keep all the boat gear on the boat and much of the fishing gear there as well. Instead of 'packing the boat' for a trip the gear lives in the boat and it is always packed, ready to go. I have a winch and a trailer get this all this on and off the water.

3. A couple of years ago I wasn't paying attention and high centered on a small rock on an easy river. It was almost 7:00 PM and the boat traffic was thin, I was by myself. It took me almost 2 hours to get off that dam rock. If I had a rope, pulley and an anchor point with me I would have been off in less than 5 minutes. The rope and two pulleys now live on the boat as well as a big sand stake that could be used to set an anchor mid river.

You can get pinned or stuck anywhere, so if you can't lift your fully loaded boat by yourself you are going to need some mechanical advantage.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015   #26

salt lake city, Utah
Paddling Since: 1995
I was using 1-1/4 pvc on my drift boat & did the same on the (new this year raft). It's a pretty cheap tool & fix, so if this setup needs work...It's all fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1422750317072.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	9280   Click image for larger version

Name:	1422750334444.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	9281  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1422750351829.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	9282  
cyclefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015   #27

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Don't forget drain holes

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015   #28

salt lake city, Utah
Paddling Since: 1995
On the rod holders? No doubt, serious mosquito trap. Got them .
cyclefish is offline   Reply With Quote